1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How much video can you put on a DVD ?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by Mighty_Genghis, Sep 13, 2003.

1. Mighty_Genghis

Mighty_Genghis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What I am after is an idea of how much camcorder footage I can put on a DVD before the quality is affected greatly ?

I have about 2 hours of footage and want to know should i squeeze it onto a single dvd or should i use 2 ?

2. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Not an easy queston to answer because it depends on a great many things.

It is all about bitrate management as you only have a finite amount of space & what quality is acceptable to you.

It is possible to get 2hours on a disc & it look pretty good.

You will need.
    1) Pretty good original footage
    2) To use compressed audio (preferably AC3 audio but for this you are going to an AC3 encoder & official ones are not cheap)
    3) Authoring software that supports compressed audio output(again for compatability AC3 is best though you can get software that will let you output MPEG audio which should be OK with most PAL players) [the difference between compressed and uncompressed audio is about 1400kbs of spce !!]
    4) A good quality MPEG encoder.

3. Mighty_Genghis

Mighty_Genghis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the help

4. Arthur.S

Arthur.S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rule of thumb is 80mins at 'best' quality. (75mins if using a motion menu) Though I've heard that Pinnacle instant DVD can compress 2 hrs onto a single DVD & still look very good.