How much to spend on speaker cable for this setup?

DanH84uk

Standard Member
Hi all,

I'm looking for my first home cinema system (I've had soundbars before).

I'm currently looking at something along the lines of a Denon AVR X3700/Marantz Sr6015 powering something along the lines of the Q Acoustics 3050i 5.1, Monitor Bronze 200 5.1 set, or possibly the Dali Oberon 5.1. I'll also add 2 atmos speakers (not sure what just yet - bit nervous about in ceiling).

links are just for reference.

I was wondering how much you'd recommend spending on speaker cables/hdmi cables per meter for a set like that? As this is my first time putting something like this together, I don't mind paying a bit extra for convenience/ease, but I'd rather not be dragged into buying a brand name for a negligible performance increase.

What would be a reasonable price to spend per meter on speaker cable/hdmi cables/anything else I need?

If anyone has any suggested reading then please let me know.

Thanks

gibbsy

There is absolutely no need to spend a fortune of fairy dust speakers cables that are delivered by a unicorn. This will be more than adequate. Van Damme Blue 2.5mm.

DanH84uk

Standard Member
Thank you!

That's the response I was hoping for :)

Really basic question here, but I take it it's pretty easy to cut off and add connections to speaker cables if you are buying it none terminated?

gibbsy

I use Fisual banana plugs for the connection to the amp. Convenient and will keep a good tight connection. My Denon had a habit of slipping the bare wire connection and it was a right pain to get at the back to retighten the screws.

TheHighFlyingBirds

Any 2.5 mm oxygen free copper (ofc) cable will do, kabeldirekt on amazon is worth a look. With regards to plugs, these are easiest and best I've used. Link

Mr Andy

From a sound quality point of view it's a case of having enough copper to not cause significant resistance compared to the speaker. I use 2.5mm Kabeldirekt, if you're running the cables in walls there are fire safety requirements for the insulation used though. I got an antifrence certified hdmi cable for the 5m run for the pj as it was the cheapest at the time, all others are Kabeldirekt.

The latest video from AVForums

Oculus Quest 2 VR headset + Rotel A14 MkII Amp Reviews & Best of the Month
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom