1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How much to spend on a DVD-player for a 32" television?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by arnthelene, Mar 11, 2003.

1. arnthelene

arnthelene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello!

I wonder how much to spend to get the best possible picture using RGB on a 32" television?

I will not hook up the DVD for use with projector og bigger screens. Is it possible to see the difference in quality between f.ex. Philips 963, Pioneer 656, Pioneer 757i and Marantz 8300 on a 32" television?

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    If your talking RGB via scart i would stick with a Tosh 220 from RS for £120 MR the other players are great but only really shine on component/Prog scan. You may get small improvements but nothing significant in my opinion till you get upto £800-£1000 and more. If t you fancy going to SACD or DVD-A the look fo a new player, but i would keep your marrantz unless you are unhappy with its performance.

3. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Or consider spending a bit more and get a Panasonic dvd recorder, and scrap the video at the same time. About £399.

You then get recordings at dvd quality, you can be playing a dvd whilst recording a tv channel at the same time, use it for time slip etc.

Personally I think the days of play only dvd machines are coming to an end.

Remember once you have the 32" set you will find vhs video recordings seem to be of very poor quality.

4. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I would say keep your Marantz too. :)

5. evans

evans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    I recently got the philips q50 with pro scan and it is fantastic, got it from hivizone.com in hong kong with the latest firmware and no previous problems with freezing , played over 10 dvd and no freezing. tricky remote though but once you get used to it it is great. This player is also the best looking I have seen so far. It really looks good!! picture and sound are great.

I cant wait to try it on a pro scan tv so I can see even better picture. Although the picture from my 14 inch on normal interlaced was just stunning.

good luck

Ive also played cd writes and rewritables on it with mp3 and played everthing.