1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How much to sell for (AV 32R and 100x5) and where ?

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by johnwarn, Jan 4, 2005.

1. johnwarn

johnwarn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've succumbed to the need to dramatically reduce the space taken by my AV / Hi-Fi and will be selling off a whole load of stuff including my AV32R (with Dolby Pro Logic II) and my 100x5.

Now that the TAG site no longer has the facility to sell second hand product, I'm tempted to put it on Ebay but suggestions would be appreciated.

Also thoughts on what price I might get (anyone who thinks that suggesting £10 will secure it for themselves can think again :) )

2. City_Knight

City_Knight
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ebay is probably a good idea. The last 100x5 went for £1250, and av32r fetch around £600-£700 depending on spec.
    What colour is the 100x5R, and where are you?

3. AMCross

AMCross

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    Or put it in this forums classified @£1250 in silver i'm interested :hiya:

4. johnwarn

johnwarn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info so far, other thoughts appreciated.

I Live in Ascot and they are Black

5. AMCross

AMCross

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    I Live in Ascot and they are Black

:mad:

6. Inotrope

Inotrope

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I'm after a 5x100 in black too...!

Options seem to be:
    1) eBay (£1250-1450). Highest traffic - but variable prices and FEES high
    2) this site - true enthusiasts
    3) hififorsale.co.uk seen a few here unsold from last October, but very over priced & low traffic.
    4) Trade in at your dealer (worst price!)

I've sold a few bits on eBay (mainly audiolab), and have happily bought a few Tag bits, however, prices are very variable (8000P's, for example, ranging from 360 to 430 regardless of serial!! which is madness IMHO!). To set a price with a BIN costs more than the gamble of a full auction - although you could always set a reserve! Remeber that many eBayer's prefer the security/convienience of paypal - and this will sting you for 3.2% of the total cost (inc p&p) ON TOP OF the eBay fees (ad fee plus the final selling fee - which is nice considering both are owned by eBay!). As an example on a £385 8000P i sold, the paypal fees along were about £17. There hasn't been much Tag on eBay for the last few weeks.

Then there is the fun of postage - probably Parcel Force or similar (insured courier) at roughly £30.

As suggested, price of £1250 would secure a sale! ( :hiya: to me!! :hiya: )

I hope these suggestions are of some help!

regards, mark

7. City_Knight

City_Knight
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  8. City_Knight

City_Knight
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mark
    PayPal's fees are on a sliding scale, getting progressively less extortionate from 3.4% +20p:
    https://www.paypal.com/uk/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_display-receiving-fees-outside&countries=

Since 7th May 2004, eBay changed the rules on surcharging buyers:
    http://www2.ebay.com:80/aw/marketing-uk.shtml#2004-06-07145822
    In reality, they can't police that, and many buyers are unaware of this policy. They get you by only civering you in the Seller Protection Policy if you DON'T surcharge: http://pages.ebay.co.uk/paypal/safe.html

ParcelForce rates depend on parcel mass. Before Christmas, any seller could arrange collection and use their overnight '24' service for £10 (up to 30kg, free collection). ebay and ParcelForce have limited connections, stopping short of integrating parcel tracking into the checkout and selling manager pro functionality.
    My ParcelForce contract is fixed at £9.50 plus 'fuel surcharge' of 3% for the '24' service.

I just wish people in UK complained more and didn't accept such low levels of service from so many inefficient and lazy jobsworths. 'Treasure Island' UK exists because of many reasons, but if we just moaned a bit more we would get better service.

PayPal USA has a lower start rate of 2.9%, and they even offer a Credit Card where you can get a further 1% cashback if you spend the funds on the card. You can even use it for cash withdrawal from an ATM.. Rather than waiting a ridiculous 10 days to transfer your funds.

Nochex is better for the seller because of lower rates, and the chargeback protection.
    If your buyer pays with PayPal, up to 90 days later, the card issuer can 'chargeback' the funds, with no warning or consultation with you.. meaning that you OWE PayPal money! You should comply with the Seller Protection policy to avoid the possibility of this.. But you try telling your buyer how to 'confirm' his address... do you know??

Anyway, I really felt like a moan. Sorry to contradict some of your post Mark. No offence meant.

9. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671

City_Knight.....please note that the trading rules here require all transactions to be conducted in open form(i.e.no PM trading) until a sale is concluded.
    Please also note that johnwarn has not formally put his items up for sale on the forum trading section yet either.

Please refrain from making any further offers until such time as a sale is posted.

10. johnwarn

johnwarn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    AV Hardware Classified Adverts