How much to pebbledash a house?

The Dark Horse

Hi

Anyone have any idea how much it would cost to pebbledash an average sized 3-bed semi house?
(whole back of house, side and little panel at the front)

thanks.

dennis

Novice Member
take me out for a vindaloo,and i'll do it for nothing :D

sorry.

Hitby

Are you removing old pebbledashing first?

http://www.ebuild.co.uk/forums/messages/3414/10274.html
Back of two bed terrace, hack off and repebbledash was £1400. Took a day to come off and a day and a half to go back on. With breaks for me to put in windows.

If you're not, don't do it :)

The Dark Horse

Are you removing old pebbledashing first?

http://www.ebuild.co.uk/forums/messages/3414/10274.html
Back of two bed terrace, hack off and repebbledash was £1400. Took a day to come off and a day and a half to go back on. With breaks for me to put in windows.

If you're not, don't do it :)
Thanks. We had a side extension built so we want the house matched to that. They don't need to remove any pebbledashing. Trying to find people to do this work is really hard !!

Hitby

aah, I would think most builders would be able to do it, although, as you've probably found, there isn't much call for it any more.

mjn

Distinguished Member
I thought this went out in the 80's!

RBZ5416

Distinguished Member
I would think that as with most things trade related, the cost could vary considerably depending on where you are in the country.

I had the rear of a two bed semi with ground floor extension done in Walthamstow in '03 prior to selling. Can't remember what it cost but it seemed reasonable at the time. Included hacking off the poorly mixed render before applying. If you're anywhere near there drop me a PM & I'll see if I still have the guy's number.

The Dark Horse

aah, I would think most builders would be able to do it, although, as you've probably found, there isn't much call for it any more.
Its a case of having to get it done really, the new extension looks odd compared to the original house, where the pebbledashing has really faded and become patchy.

Id imagine removing all the dashing would be just as expensive as getting it re-done?

eric pisch

Novice Member
and i bet your having little coloured stone chips like 99% of every one else who has it done ...

Thats SPAR dash not pebble dash :)

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member
your right...Canterbury Spar. I thought if I titled it spardashing most people wouldn't know what I was talking about.
Going to the local shop and back for a six-pack before the match starts?

eric pisch

Novice Member
your right...Canterbury Spar. I thought if I titled it spardashing most people wouldn't know what I was talking about.
its my no2 pet building greeve after breeze blocks, grrr there lightweight concrete blocks....

but you are correct its a good way to hide odd wall surfaces, its not very fashionable

have you considered a smooth render coat that's sandtex painted or having the top half spa dashed and the lower half smouth coat with sandtex, can look very nice, and you can paint it yourself to save a few squid.

The Dark Horse

its my no2 pet building greeve after breeze blocks, grrr there lightweight concrete blocks....

but you are correct its a good way to hide odd wall surfaces, its not very fashionable

have you considered a smooth render coat that's sandtex painted or having the top half spa dashed and the lower half smouth coat with sandtex, can look very nice, and you can paint it yourself to save a few squid.

How does that work exactly, I'm no exert on building matters? Does that mean they go over the dashing already there with sandtex (sorry dont know what that is?) or would they have to take the old dashing off first?

eric pisch

Novice Member
How does that work exactly, I'm no exert on building matters? Does that mean they go over the dashing already there with sandtex (sorry dont know what that is?) or would they have to take the old dashing off first?
if you got some old dash they remove it, then re render the house but make it smooth rather than chucking stones at it, you then paint it in a sandtex colour of your choice

it comes down to how much you want to spend, how much the house is worth, the area your in etc

http://www.sandtex.co.uk/pdfs/MasonryPaintColour.pdf

Heres a pic of a house with the top half smooth rendered and painted, you can also do the whole house, or spardash the top half and paint the lowerhalf, looks much nicer imo

http://www.balanceandco.com/projects/otherwork/crackedrender_rayleigh/02/images/DSC00417.jpg

Ed Selley

AVF Reviewer
take me out for a vindaloo,and i'll do it for nothing :D

sorry.

This man is responsible for most blokes looking at the title to this thread and giggling rather than proffering advice :laugh:

The Dark Horse

if you got some old dash they remove it, then re render the house but make it smooth rather than chucking stones at it, you then paint it in a sandtex colour of your choice

it comes down to how much you want to spend, how much the house is worth, the area your in etc

http://www.sandtex.co.uk/pdfs/MasonryPaintColour.pdf

Heres a pic of a house with the top half smooth rendered and painted, you can also do the whole house, or spardash the top half and paint the lowerhalf, looks much nicer imo

http://www.balanceandco.com/projects/otherwork/crackedrender_rayleigh/02/images/DSC00417.jpg
Thanks, I get you now. Sounds like that will be quite expensive to do, although I agree it would look better. Luckily the front of the house only has a very small panel to dash, the rest is brick work. Its only the back and side of the house that needs totally dashed. I think I will try and find someone who can dash if I can.

We also have the problem that all my neighbours houses are in the same style as mine, so I'm not sure changing the outside to something else would look right.

Member 55145

Distinguished Member
Thanks, I get you now. Sounds like that will be quite expensive to do, although I agree it would look better. Luckily the front of the house only has a very small panel to dash, the rest is brick work. Its only the back and side of the house that needs totally dashed. I think I will try and find someone who can dash if I can.

We also have the problem that all my neighbours houses are in the same style as mine, so I'm not sure changing the outside to something else would look right.
might you have to deal with planning permission aswell if it looks different from them?

i have rendered walls on the new property im buying so will keep an eye on this thread i think :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom