How much to host my company's website?

Keiron

I work for a small company. We don't have any internal IT. Our current website has been around for years, and we are getting a new one built for us.

We are stuck regarding hosting. We've paid the same bloke to do everything for us for years so we are a bit out of touch.

It's a pretty basic website, there's no transactions or anything. The only things of note are that we have about 1500 clients, and we provide them with access to their own files (basically word documents) through a client log in area of our website. So at any one time there could be quite a lot of clients logging on. In total, we have something like 6gb of files there.

Security is obviously a top priority, as is reliability.

We have actually been quoted £2400 plus VAT by an agency for hosting on a "dedicated rackspace server". If anything goes wrong, we are charged £85 an hour. This seems like an awful lot, given that when I Google I see all sorts of offers for unlimited this and that for £20 odd a month.

I know I am talking very generally here, but can anyone offer advice? It would be much appreciated. Thanks.

MarkE19

Due to the space requirements I doubt you would get your site hosted at a rock bottom price, but £2,400 pa is way OTT IMO - something closer to £240 pa would be more like it I would think.

I have a ~10 page website hosted on a server with 4 independent links to the www for about £80 +VAT pa - but as this is hosting a company run by my brother I can't give you the details as it would look like I was making money by advertising on the forum :blush:

Mark.

SUMMONER

Hosting on a dedicated server with what I suppose will require loads of setting up and customisation for per user access of files? £2400+VAT per year doesn't sound too far off at all IMO. Also the cost should really drop by a 3rd or so in the 2nd year.

Last edited:

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
Security will be your issue, but you could use a white label version of Yousendit or even Dropbox to share the files. Your website then only needs basic hosting.

Keiron

Thanks all. I suppose what we need to do is get another quote...but don't really know where to go to get one!

maf1970

I work for a small company. We don't have any internal IT. Our current website has been around for years, and we are getting a new one built for us.

We are stuck regarding hosting. We've paid the same bloke to do everything for us for years so we are a bit out of touch.

It's a pretty basic website, there's no transactions or anything. The only things of note are that we have about 1500 clients, and we provide them with access to their own files (basically word documents) through a client log in area of our website. So at any one time there could be quite a lot of clients logging on. In total, we have something like 6gb of files there.

Security is obviously a top priority, as is reliability.

We have actually been quoted £2400 plus VAT by an agency for hosting on a "dedicated rackspace server". If anything goes wrong, we are charged £85 an hour. This seems like an awful lot, given that when I Google I see all sorts of offers for unlimited this and that for £20 odd a month.

I know I am talking very generally here, but can anyone offer advice? It would be much appreciated. Thanks.
The Current System Questions -

What software does it use and is it up to date ?
Is this software supported ?
Where is it currently situated ?

The quote you have is very high. This would get you a dedicated server with huge storage space that IMHO would be wasted for your requirement. Essentially you are just wanting a file server. Does it have to be dedicated ? What about a Virtual Server ?

To get comparable quotes you need to make the same request to prospective suppliers. This would include Server Spec,Dedicated or Virtual, Storage reqs, backup options,monitoring options and support options.

Spoonboy90

Novice Member
For a dedicated server £2400 or £200 per month is about going rate but i certainly wouldnt be paying for support on a hourly charge. 6Gb is low in terms of storage space the determining factor will be bandwidth, how often are the clients logging on and downloading files? A 'premium' hosting service may be suitable which should set you back around £30 a month for a basic package but you would probably need to pay for more storage and if bandwidth is an issue there may be more costs to that too. I don't think you will end up paying less than £100 per month + vat

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips OLED+935 impressions, Denon AVC110 Review, Film Reviews, News and More...
Top Bottom