1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How much to haggle for Arcam amp + Quads + themescene projector

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by swynjones, Jun 10, 2005.

Tags:
  1. swynjones

swynjones
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi everyone.

As a complete newbie in the world of Hifi/home cinema I need some major advice on haggling-how much to haggle and what approximately you might expect a dealer to be able to do if spending a lot of money on multiple items.

I'm thinking of purchasing

Arcam AVR250
    Themescene H30A
    Quad L series AV speaker package

from seveoaks this comes to a totol of £3890 excluding cables. with Cables will be over £4000.

What I'd like to know is how much is it reasonable to haggle? Because £3890 is too expensive for me. But people talk about a dealer doing them great deals if buying >1 item together. I've previously seen Creative Audio in Shresbury offer 25% discounts when buying speaker/AMP packages.

So would it be reasonable to haggle for 25% off the Arcam/Quad/Themescene package if bought at the same time from the same dealer. Or am I going to be wasting my time and put people's backs up!

Otherwise I'll wait a while for either prices to drop or will buy a cheaper speaker package instead.

2. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    How about trying to get the cables thrown in free?

I'm not sure you'll get much of a discount on the Arcam as most places on the web that I've seen seem to be doing it for £999.99 which, IIRC is the retail price.

John

3. crocandy

crocandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Best advice i can give is price the whole system up with cables etc. Then decide how you are going to pay for it and how much you really want to pay.

Then look for local dealers (I know you will pay slightly more than internet, but to be able to go back in is well worth it IMHO). Walk in with big stash of cash if they can't match you price go somewhere else. I'm sure if your price is reasonable they would rather come to an agrement then see those notes disappear out the front door.

1 other thing to consider sometimes it is easier for a dealer to throw stuff in rather than reduce a price.

Good Luck

4. swynjones

swynjones
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    cheers for your reply.

From what I've read on these forums dealers selling Arcam products are not allowed to advertise discounted prices. But are willing to offer deals etc in person if the buyer is serious about going ahead. I think I've also read this is the same with Quad stuff.

But I just don't know what kind of discount might be reasonable to expect, particularly if buying the arcam amp with the Quads and a projector.

cheers.

5. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    From my experience, you may not get a 25% (although there's no harm in asking) I would have thought the figure would be closer to 15%.

6. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    I've bought a load of Arcam gear over the last 12-18 months and the best I've been able to do is to get cables/interconnects thrown in for free.

John

7. LFCRules

LFCRules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    When I got my Arcam DV29 & AVR300 in the same purchase, I got 15% off at Audio-T, their normal sale discount, a few weeks before their sale started :)

Getting the cables for free is a good bet, and worth haggling on getting a more expensive cable than initially offered. But I would recommend staying with the local dealers, they are worth it in the long run.

Cheers

Andy

8. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    I think that is the better idea. Demo the kit that you afford to buy then if you get a decent discount then it is a bonus. Don't set your sights on something that is out of your reach as you'll end up not getting anything or will get it from a dealer who cannot provide the level of backup and after sales service you would expect on that level of product because he is operating on such a small margin, either way you'll be disappointed. You'd be surpised at the benefits of having a good rapport with your local dealer over a long period of time.

9. Blindman

Blindman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    We got £200 off an Arcam AVR300 and Quad speaker package and half price on the cables. I won't say where - I don't want to get them into any trouble, but it was a local high street store.

10. Blindman

Blindman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    We got £200 off an Arcam AVR300 and Quad speaker package and half price on the cables. I won't say where - I don't want to get them into any trouble, but it was a local high street store. They are fantastic, by the way.

11. OneDesi

OneDesi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +237
    Probably sounds silly but I don't think much goes wrong with speakers so why don't you source them second hand - you'll probably get about 50% oof that way (too late now but I recently sold my Quad 22L and Quad 11L's in maple - all you would've needed is the centre!). Might even know someone selling a quad set up in gloss black.

Due to my inherent fear of projector bulbs I would say buy a brand new projector but there is a guy on some other forums selling an Arcam AVR300 for less than £1300 and he claims it is brand new - may be worth a shout (I have seen AVR250's go for around £800ish - one on this forum actually, have a scoot around). As long as you can get the manufacturers warranty covered you should be okay.

I have learnt the hard way that you do lose a lot of money buying new stuff (although a good retailer is worth his weight in gold).

Hope this helps!