1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How much space will I need???

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by macman, Nov 11, 2003.

1. macman

macman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I download a whole 60 min DV tape to my hard disc, how much space will I need?

Thanks

2. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Depends a lot on what settings you use for the capture but for a reasonable quality say around 14 Gb (thats gigabites)

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,389
    The ballpark figure for space required to capture DV footage as an AVI (standard format) file is 1Gb for every 4 minutes.
    You will also need more space available for the editing and any conversion if copying to (S)VCD or DVD.
    Also as your disk become full its access times will slow down and this can then cause dropped frames etc. I always work on the rule that I 'need' at least double the space the origional footage I capture will take. So to capture 60 minutes will take 15Gb to capture and 15Gb working space. Therfore the total space required for that project is 30Gb.

Mark.

4. torrent

torrent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OT

Five years ago if we'd talked about 30 GB of anything we'd have all fallen around the floor laughing. Competely amazing how quickly things move on. I can actually remember selling someone a 40MB hard drive for their non-hdd-enabled 286, that was only 10 years ago!