How much space to I need?

Pezerinno

Novice Member
Hi, I am planning on building a media PC and I have 3 250GB samsung spinpoints Sata II drives. I will use the PC for recording TV, playing DVD (& hi def DVDs when they are available) and playing music through my Hifi. I will use 1 of the drives solely for music but I'm not sure how much space is needed for the other applications?

I'd like to partition the drives up - how much (roughly) would MCE take up and the various pieces of software? How much space does SD 1 hour recorded TV take up? What compression method do people use for DVDs etc?

99Flake

You have ample space there for anything! Put one drive in with your OS on a small partition (say 4Gb) and the rest for you aps. Then put all your other stuff on a RAID array across the 2 other drives, this will give a good turn of speed. Games would benefit from being on this RAID array. In essence you would have drives C: D: E: as your hard drive.

Pezerinno

Novice Member
Hi there, thanks for the reply. I won't be gaming or doing anything with this PC apart from watching & recording TV, playing DVDs and CDs. I have a gaming PC for gaming and other things.

How much space do DVDs and TV take up?

99Flake

Quite frankly you have three quarters of a Terrabyte of storage, if you use that up fast then I would be very very surprised. We have a specialized video storage server at my work which has a full terrabyte of storage and has 1906 files and takes up 367GB. Most of those are DVD's or half hour clips. So as you can see you are in no danger of running out of space. But I would still do a seperate 4GB partition for windows so that if it all goes wrong you only lose windows and not your data if you need to reformat.

Pezerinno

Novice Member
I plan to also make a partition for other things though - like recorded TV programms to make defragging easier etc. I need around 250GB for my music collection so were planning to just wack it on the seperate drive - I didn't want to use a raid array due to either low disk space or increased disk failure (depending which array I went for).

deksawyer

If it was me, I'd install the OS on a 10gb partition, leaving the rest for recorded tv and other things.

The other 250gb drive I'd use for the music.

I have a 250gb drive for storage and with around 80+hrs of recorded tv, there's around 118hrs of space left (I think that's correct!). I keep recording stuff I never get round to watching.....

D.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom