How much space should I leave around my Sky + box?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by kalied, Jul 30, 2005.

1. kalied

kalied

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I'm new to this forum and am after a bit of help.

I've just had Sky + installed (Pace PVR 2), but as I've got quite a bit of home cinema equipment it's all a bit cramped. So I was wondering how much space I actually need to leave around my Sky + box for the air to flow without it affecting safety/performance?

I've read in the manual that it I need to leave at least 10cm of space above and on all sides, but do any of you guys know if this is just over caution on the manufacturers part?

At the moment I have well over 10cm of space at the sides and the back, but only about 1cm above the box? If I leave my set up like this will it be ok?

Forgive me if this is a stupid question.

Thanks in advance.

Mark

2. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +754
    My Pace V1 box doesn't even have ventilation holes on the top or the sides, so giving it more room to breath above the unit will have little benefit.
    Mine's been in an AV rack with about 2cm clearance above and at the sides, and about 10 cm at the rear.
    It's been sat in that position for about 4 years and still works fine!

My V2 Sky+ box has ventilation slots on the sides but again none on the top.

However, both versions have a cooling fan on the rear of the unit, so that is probably be where you should allow about 10cm clearance.

3. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Ours works fine in this configuration.

4. Ponty

Ponty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd like to place my Pace V1 inside a sideboard under the Plasma out of sight in addition to a DVD recorer and PS2. I will be removing the back panel and replacing with a mess. Will it overheat inside here?

There is no amp in there as I'm using it all with a Yamaha YSP1?

What do you reckon?

5. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +754
    It'll be ok.
    It sounds like a similar position to mine except mine's in a home made 'backless' cabinet.

6. kalied

kalied

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys. That gives me a bit of reassurance. I've got a backless unit too, so it sounds as though I've probably got enough space around my box to avoid any real issues, despite what the manual says. So, I think I'll keep the set up as it is, unless anyone really advises otherwise.

Cheers