• Apologies for the inconvenience, but AVForums will be offline from 6am Thursday 21st January 2021 for a few hours while we perform a major update to our core software. See what changes are coming.

*How much* space needed!?

New Start Neil

Distinguished Member
Wow....

I was thinking of installing the RC of W7 over my present Vista install, which is getting a bit creaky (although no gripes & is stable).

I ran the upgrade checker and everything was fine except for this:

You need at least 16GB of free space on your hard disk to install 32-bit Windows 7.
:eek:

I was hoping to install it over the top of Vista, but now..... :nono:

The C: partition is 30GB, so I could format it and instll W7 fresh, but then I'd have to go through the pain of reloading everything! :suicide:

Decisions, decisions..... :lesson:

New Start Neil

Distinguished Member
Not really a surprise, vista asked for 15 if I remember right.
That's true enough.

I am tempted to do a full format and install W7 RC. As I said, my C: partition is 30 gig so it certainly won't hurt creaming it and starting again.

The thing is this machine is running sweetly (and actually, always has), but you know what us tinkerers are like! :devil:

I guess the best thing I could do would be to create an image of the current C: and store it on the D Drive, that way if my W7 install was unhappy in any way, I could just stick a bootable DVD in and restore it back to my sweet Vista install. :)

Any recommendations for imaging software?

Having said that, I think I may have Acronis and Ghost lying around somewhere....

New Start Neil

Distinguished Member
Ok...

I've created an image using Acronis. :thumbsup:
I've verified that Image using Acronis. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I've created the "Acronis Secure Zone" on my C Drive. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

What could possibly go wrong..... :eek:

Wish me luck! :devil:

New Start Neil

Distinguished Member
Ok, I'm on using W7. :thumbsup:

One small issue is that I use 2 monitors and now the one on the right is the one that has the Start button and Taskbar, but I want that on the left.

How do I achieve that?

Thanks. :)

mattclarkie

Novice Member
To solve your monitor issue, just switch the cables around :rolleyes:.

Personally I have Win7 on a 19.5gb partition and I have 7gb free.

mattclarkie

Novice Member
I found that using the display switch in the settings menu to be unreliable which is why I suggested the cables. I did it with the menu in windows and 2 days later the displays switched back, so I had a rummage round the back of the PC and they have been fine since.

Singh400

Distinguished Member
FYI the 16GB is just for temporary files :smashin: Once install it actually takes up alot less space. So you could in theory shrink the partition afterwards.

Mr Incredible

Distinguished Member
Ok, I'm on using W7. :thumbsup:

One small issue is that I use 2 monitors and now the one on the right is the one that has the Start button and Taskbar, but I want that on the left.

How do I achieve that?

Thanks. :)
Right click desktop, set resolution...

Then just "grab" the screen which is in the wrong position and drag it to the other side of the other one and probably make it your main display.

Simples!

Last edited:

New Start Neil

Distinguished Member
Thanks, I did suss it yesterday, but I'm afraid I've gone back to Vista.... :eek:

I can't really put my finger on it and I know I need to give it more time, but there just were little foibles that were irritating me yesterday, so I stuck my Acronis boot CD in and went back to Vista. :oops:

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom