How much sleep do you get?

Xenomorph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've always thought that good quality sleep has a huge impact on my general well being. For me it's not just the amount of sleep I get, but the time I go to bed. This research suggests a sweet spot of 10-11pm bedtime. What do you reckon? Do you need a lot of sleep? Does it affect your day if you don't get enough?

Not enough,

Lack of sleep is linked to mental health issues and dementia.

I go to bed at 10:30pm and read for 30 minutes before lights out at 11pm. I wake a couple of times during the night, but overall I get around 6-7 hours sleep a night and wake naturally around 6:30am.
Having a set routine has been a huge benefit to my sleep especially when coupled with a reduction in screen time. I don’t use my phone or tablet after 10:30pm, I use either my Kindle Paperwhite, read a book or listen to an audiobook. I also turn the lights down low as I find that helps me relax. If I don’t follow my routine it definitely affects my sleep.

Average around 7 hours a night currently. Less than 6 then I tend to feel it later the next day.

8 (sometimes at the weekend) is lovely.

Usually in bed by 10-10.30pm and up between 5.40 and 6.15am.

Try to get 8 hours but can do with 7. Less and I really feel the sleep debt build up.

I can categorically say this affects me physically. I can measure one parameter - glucose - because I’m Type 1 diabetic. Poor sleep leads to a massive increase in insulin resistance for me.

Good sleep is critical to good health.

Usually In bed for 10.15pm, up at 5.30 (due to partner snoring like clockwork).

Mon - Thur: I’ll start work at 6 or lie on sofa till 7 and then start work

Fri - Sun: I’ll just play on iPad until partner gets up circa 8

I always feel tired

I work shifts.
If i do a day shift i get up at 05:10, after going to bed around midnight (can never get straight to sleep though).
If i do a back shift i get to bed a similar time but up at 7am with my wife.
If i do a night shift to go to bed roughly 07:10 and wake up about 11:00 or earlier (but up by 12-13:00).
I REALLY have trouble sleeping after nights.

3 hours tonight, wife's snoring woke me up 😂

I really struggle to sleep through the night. Take last 2 days for example.
Thursday night, went to bed at around 9.30pm woke at 2am and was awake till around 6pm when I dozed for half an hour, then bed again at around 10pm.
woke again at 2am(ish) and still awake.
this has been going on for a few months now and it’s worrying me.
Any tips or ideas to help me get a full nights sleep?

I really struggle to sleep through the night. Take last 2 days for example.
Thursday night, went to bed at around 9.30pm woke at 2am and was awake till around 6pm when I dozed for half an hour, then bed again at around 10pm.
woke again at 2am(ish) and still awake.
this has been going on for a few months now and it’s worrying me.
Any tips or ideas to help me get a full nights sleep?
Have you tried any of the following;

1) reducing screen time before sleep time? (Blue light messes your brain up)
2) avoiding exercise (apart from sex) late at night (releases adrenaline)
3) relaxation techniques
4) get into a “going to sleep” routine (sounds boring, but it trains your brain)
5) performing mentally challenging tasks during the day

Just some ideas. For me, i’m up early, have a job which requires me to concentrate and usually have some sort of workout (tabata / martial arts / yoga) either in the morning or in the evening. By the time 9 / 10pm comes around, i’m shattered and can fall asleep within 5-10 mins.

Have you tried any of the following;

1) reducing screen time before sleep time? (Blue light messes your brain up)
2) avoiding exercise (apart from sex) late at night (releases adrenaline)
3) relaxation techniques
4) get into a “going to sleep” routine (sounds boring, but it trains your brain)
5) performing mentally challenging tasks during the day

Just some ideas. For me, i’m up early, have a job which requires me to concentrate and usually have some sort of workout (tabata / martial arts / yoga) either in the morning or in the evening. By the time 9 / 10pm comes around, i’m shattered and can fall asleep within 5-10 mins.
I’m usually only in bed for 5 or 10 mins before falling asleep, and my job is in construction sites so quite exhausting
Think it might be stress of job I’m on just now, can’t seem to switch off

I’m usually only in bed for 5 or 10 mins before falling asleep, and my job is in construction sites so quite exhausting
Think it might be stress of job I’m on just now, can’t seem to switch off
Could be. Stress is one thing I don’t have. I’ve learned to shut off work once finishing time arrives.

Well, been up since 3am, not good
Need to look for options now, it’s happening too often

Get about 5-6 hours every other day. Or one power nap in the day of about 2 hours for a few days then nothing for the next couple.

Bedtime for me is between 12-1AM (I'm on my computer right up to bed time and have no trouble sleeping) and I usually sleep for around 7 hours. Those hours can be disturbed by my coughing due to asthma or my missus prodding me for snoring.

Since electricity prices went up I try to go to bed before I have to use the lights too much but usually watch YouTube for an hour or two until my battery is too low on my phone.

First thing I do when Im up is to charge batteries and my phone from the solar panels when the sun rises. Its a waste of sun if I dont charge.

I usually go to bed around 12am and wake up at 7am. I fall asleep quickly

I don’t think I sleep enough. In bed at 10pm - up at 5am for work. That is 7hrs but the trouble is that I wake constantly throughout the night. It’s anxiety I suppose, I will wake up 3 or 4 times thinking it’s time to get up. Been like this for about 6yrs now :thumbsdow

I average about 6 hours a night. And then once every 6-8 weeks or so I'll have 12.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom