1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How much should I spend?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by NinjaKi11a, Jul 13, 2004.

1. NinjaKi11a

NinjaKi11a
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the system in my sig, though would like to lose the two amps and replace them with one 'musical' surround amp... when one becomes available, so it will be a while...

I'm currently thinking about subs. Perhaps I haven't seen the light, but I don't see the need for a sub when I'm listening to stereo music. I've also become quite disillusioned with surround sound equipment as I'm not convinced spending more really makes much difference. Therfore, how much would people suggest I needed to spend on a sub to get decent surround sound quality? Also, would a sub make a dramatic improvement to stereo, if so what should the new price range be?

BTW I've never listened to one of the things, so I don't really know what I'm looking for. My room is approx 5m * 4m.

Thanks.

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I can never remember which Mission is which as I find their model numbers confucing. As a consequence I can't remember whether I have heard the 771E at all so I had a look at some reviews to refresh my memory and this is what Hifi Choice had to say about the :-

I think that this probably answers your question "Would a sub make a dramatic improvement on stereo quality" and it would seem that in your case the answer would be "yes" as a decent sub would not only extend the bass range deeper but would also strengthen the parts that appear to be the weak points of the Mission.

If you haven't heard one before and don't know what you are looking for, imagine shutting your eyes and the sound coming from your small standmount speakers has been transformed into a big, fat fulsome sound that appears to be coming from a pair of very large floorstanders. Additionally you will hear notes that you didn't know were on your CD's.

As many have said here, a cheap boom box of a sub will ruin your setup and not enhance it but the good news is that quality has recently become cheaper with the Mordaunt Short MS309 available at around £220 but if you can afford more I would strongly suggest the BK Electronics XLS200 at £279 which may suit you better if your primary interest is music.

3. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    I was in a similar situation 2 or 3 years ago. I had a really mix and match speaker setup and I thought the Acoustic Solutions stand mounts I had at the time were the dogs. I thought what the hell I'll buy a cheap sub, just because I wanted 5.1 and I couildn't have all the gear without a .1 speaker.
    So I bought my first sub, a Mission 70ASE second hand for £110 out of the local free ads. This sub had a small 100 watt amp and an 8" driver but overall I was happy with it. It gave a little bit of extra extension beyond the limits of my other speakers but better than that I could get relatively big explosions from my films.
    The hunger grew from there and I got the sub bug. I upgraded several times ending up with my 1000 watt monster I have now. Looking back I think, was the compact Mission really doing anything, but it probably wasn't a bad little sub to complement the cheap setup I had at the time.
    My point is if you have not heard a sub yet, do your self a favour and try and have a listen to some, it will open up a completely new perception to music and films. The very best floorstanders will have a go at plunging to the depths required for works like Toccatta and Fugue, but a sub would pin it down with ease. For movies I am pretty sure that there are no floorstanders which will handle something like Attack of the Clones at reference without blowing a driver! Trust me I've tried!!!

Sorry for the long post, I think I got my point across. :blush:

4. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    I forgot to add, spend what you can afford, you get what you pay for.
    I was happy with my £100 Mission at the time but I couldn't go back to anything less than the £1200 B&W I have now.
    If you can only afford the speakers Ian mentioned, then do it, they both have very good reviews. If you can afford more, do it, it will be worth it in the long run IMHO. :)

5. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Sadly Stellavision is only half right. :p

I would humbly suggest that you keep your options focussed on Ian's popular suggestions. :smashin:

There are a lot of subwoofers out there. Only a few are great value for money at their price level. Many are much more expensive than Ian's suggestions. That doesn't necessarily make them great (or even better) subwoofers! :rolleyes:

Try and hear what the MS309 and BK XLS200 can do. You have no need of a "1000 watt monster" in your system. :eek:

Remember that Stellavison only arrived at his present stratospheric subwoofer level via a great many that did not even satisfy him! :boring:

So while he has more experience than anybody on this planet at buying subwoofers. :zonked:

He really hasn't a clue about choosing subwoofers! :blush:

If only he had listened to us. :cool:

He'd have a decent subwoofer by now! ;)

Nimby :devil:

6. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Nimby, I wasn't suggesting that everyone should own a monster sub or that smaller budget subs are rubbish. I was trying to point out to someone who has yet to hear a sub that subwoofers can be adictive, it is quite easy to get sucked into the trap and want bigger and bigger. Others are strong willed and more satisfied. I did add that it is 'in my own honest opinion' that more than less is better with a sub purchase.
    Oh and Nimby, I am aware how good SVS subs are, I have owned one. So trust me that I also know that the sub I have now may possibly be upto half decent standards. ;)

7. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    But did you have the right SVS? :devil:

Don't you find yourself longing for a PB4+ or a brace of Ultras? :D

Only kidding. :)

Nimby ;)

8. NinjaKi11a

NinjaKi11a
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks all v much for your comments - much appreciated!

Ian, the 771es are rears. I have Quad 11Ls at the front. I've heard people criticise them for the bass, but I think they're amazing. But then what do I know... ;)

Ok, I guess the general consensus is: get a decent sub that will integrate into the stereo side of things as well. I've therefore upped my budget.

In terms of auditions, I was thinking along the lines of: REL Q150E MkII , BW ASW600, MS 909. Any others?

I'm a bit wary as I won't be able to demo with my exact kit (plus I'll be changing amp at some point). Any comments?

9. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The REL is completely outclassed at the price point and I would suggest that if you stretch your budget a little more that you listen to the B&W ASW675

10. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Or get an SVS 25-31 PC Plus :)

The MS909 is a nice sub, but you can never discount the B&W ASW675.

11. NinjaKi11a

NinjaKi11a
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well that's the REL out of it. I'm a little concerned my budget is sliding upwards. I'm was thinking £450 max.

I'm def gonna check out the B&W ASW600, B&W ASW 675 and the MS 909

Would the 675 be overkill in my room? Besides I live in a flat and am not planning on pissing the neighbours off... :rolleyes:

Cheers

12. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Another way to get more bass is to buy a better amp. This would really improve the bass quality. It cannot suddenly make your speakers go down to 10hz but it will allow them to go deeper with greater control.

Subs can help but they do need careful setting up. They are not plug and play.

13. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86

14. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +303
    Nimby - whatever your smoking must be quite exotic !! Do you realise that its really bad for you in the long run ?

15. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +303
  16. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Huh? :confused:

Smoking kills! Yuk! :devil:

My body is my temple :D

My hifi is my shrine! :cool:

(I don't even take aspirin) :blush:

Nimby :)

Hic? :beer: :clown:

17. NinjaKi11a

NinjaKi11a
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A lot of reading and uming and erring later, it's occured to me that size is an issue... isn't it always :rolleyes: ...

Most of these hifi stores only seem to stock one or two different brands of sub so I want to get my audition list as tight as possible.

Any thoughts on the MJ Acoustics Reference 100?