How much should I spend?

Bazrah

Standard Member
Hey,

I've got a Yamaha RXV-2065 amp (rrp £1100) linked to my Sony kdl-40ex503, Popcorn Hour A-200 and Samsung BD-P1500. It's also connected to a Sonos ZP90.

At the moment the speakers are a Castle sub/sat combination CASTLE COMPACT SYSTEM << UK >> AVLAND Castle Compact Home Cinema Speaker System with Silver Anniversary speaker cable.

As you can see, I've changed the amp and TV - speakers are next!

How much should I spend? I'll probably get the front 3 first and add the rears and new sub as I get more funds!

I like a fairly laid-back sound, so any recommendations for speakers, as well as a price bracket, most welcome!

Thanks!

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
Though it is not a rule etched in stone, I would say, generally, that the speakers need to be 2 to 3 times the price of the amp. Again, that is more of a guideline than an actual rule.

Also, it depends on what you are looking for. The size of your listening room can play a factor. The room acoustic can also play a role in picking speakers.

So, the first question is -

- Satellite/Sub?
- Bookshelf/Sub?
- Floorstanding with or without a Sub, though you will probably want one?

I personally don't recommend anything less than Bookshelf/Sub packages. However, I do acknowledge that there is a time and place for Sat/Sub packages.

Since you have a pretty substantial amount into your system, I would say speaker packages in the roughly £1500 to £2500 would be in order.

Steve/bluewizard

Bazrah

Standard Member
Hi,

Well, I was thinking stand mounters but now I'm leaning towards towers.

I particularly like the B&W CM7 (£1,000) which I've heard before, which I could partner with the cm centre (£400) then CM1's for rears (£500) and then a new sub (£?). Sounds like it's about the right price level.

What do you think?

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
If you are comfortable going as high as £2500, then the B&W CM7 system should be pretty good.

It is probably not much help, but here is a YouTube video of the CM7 in action. Though keep in mind that YouTube audio quality is notoriously poor.

YouTube - Bowers & Wilkins CM7

My only experience with the B&W CM line was a brief audition of some CM8, which I thought were very compact, and very crisp clear speakers. I could envision these in just about any room of any size - large or small.

Others to consider are the Dali Ikon 6 Mk1 5.1 system -

Dali Ikon 6 5.1 AV package

These are widely critically acclaimed speakers.

The Focal 800 series are also an exceptionally clear speaker, not pre-packaged system, but you should have no trouble building your own -

Floorstanding - Loudspeakers

Some here have heard the 700 series, and claim these are also very high quality speakers.

Again, nothing wrong with your original choice, just trying to put that choice into perspective.

Likely the B&W CM Sub is going to drive the price up, but there are alternative Sub that you can substitute.

Just a few thoughts.

Steve/bluewizard

jra

Out of curiosity, how is the Castle speaker system?
Is there anything about them that you want to improve on with a new system?
thanks for the info.

Last edited by a moderator:

PR1

I've got a Dali Ikon centre... if the floorstanders compare in their role they'll be fantastic - sadly my budget didn't stretch that high!

Bazrah

Standard Member
Sorry, not been around for a few days!

The castle's are a fab little sub/sat combination. 5 Star What-Hifi ratings at the same time as the Kef "Eggs" first came out.

But, ultimately they are 4 small satellites with a small-ish centre speaker and a sub and are limited because of their small size.

Back to the OP, are the CM7's overkill for the Yamaha amp?

Bazrah

Standard Member
I was in Superfi in Birmingham yesterday and Tim Hancock set up the Yamaha 2067 with CM5's at the front and CM1's at the rear with a B&W sub and CM centre. Sounded really good on bluray, CD and Sonos. Then he hooked up the CM8's to the front. They were fabulous - detailed, clear and really smooth - they were straight out of teh box too. On Pure Direct from the amp they were stunning for stereo, even from an AV amp.

Even the wife could hear the difference!

So, CM8's, CM1's and a CM centre will be bought in the next few weeks! I'll add a sub later when I get more money!!

a8ch

On Pure Direct from the amp they were stunning for stereo, even from an AV amp.

Even the wife could hear the difference!

So, CM8's, CM1's and a CM centre will be bought in the next few weeks! I'll add a sub later when I get more money!!
Why be so surprised! There are several avr's around the £1000 mark that sound excellent in pure direct stereo mode for music replay in their own right! :thumbsup:

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
I quick search for that Yamaha amp shows it selling for as high as £1,380. Quantum Electronics listed them for £1100, and sold the last of their stock at £499. I would certainly expect any amp of this caliber to sound very good ... for an AV amp.

In another discussion, that started with the CM8, amps in the price range of the Yamaha are what was recommended.

It think overall, this will be a fantastic combination. Of course, no matter what your budget or how much power you have, we want to to spend more and get more, but budgets are not unlimited. We have to draw the line somewhere. In your case, I would expect nothing less than a spectacular system.

I'm green with envy.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited:

Bazrah

Standard Member
The bizarre thing was that I only popped in to have a quick look! I was lucky that they'd get some CM8's in just that morning and had the time to set them up for me! I would have happily gone for the CM5's if I'd not heard the CM8's!

Will report back when I get them!!

Bazrah

Standard Member
I guess the next question is what I should upgrade the speaker cable to? I can't see me changing the cables for the rears, but for the front 3 what do you suggest to upgrade the silver anniversary cable that's there now?

bluedroog

It would be great if you could report back on how you get on with the CM8's I'm seriously considering getting these to replace my old B&W 602's.

In terms of speaker cable I wouldn't worry too much, so long as it's fairly well made thick copper cable you'll be fine. You'd never catch me spending more than £10 a meter and even that would be with £££ speakers.

bluedroog

Nice, I popped in to a Sevenoaks to see them the other day although wasn't able to hear them. They certainly look the business.

Bazrah

Standard Member
Right, hopefully I'll be getting these next weekend. Should I upgrade from my silver anniversary cables to something better? How about bi-wiring the front?

Thanks!

Bazrah

Standard Member
A bit of research and it seems bi-amping the fronts makes more difference. I can assign the surround back speakers to bi-amp the fronts on the Yamaha so happy days!

Top Bottom