1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How much should I spend on a HDMI cable?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by AndyH, Aug 9, 2005.

1. AndyH

AndyH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Apologies if this is a FAQ..

I consider myself fairly retentive when it comes to cables, I have expensive hosepipe for speakers and SCART leads that cost at least £60 etc. etc.

But do I need to splash out on an expensive HDMI cable? Or should it really not matter...?

2. LFCRules

LFCRules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    Hi AndyH,

It's really down to how long the cable is. HDMI signal does deteriate over long length's of cable (anything over 5 metres IIRC, or maybe 3m). Most people on here have said that they have tried shorter HDMI cables at different prices, and not noticed the difference. But for longer length's it can become apparent in the cheaper cables.

I myself have a 10m Chord HDMI cable, and it cost an bomb (I could afford it at the time and didn't do any tests with other cables to check), but it produces supurb pictures from DVD to projector, so I can't really complain.

Cheers

Andy

3. AndyH

AndyH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Yep, I too had a reasonably short distance in mind before signal degredation. Fortunately I don't need more than 1m, so I shouldn't need to go bonkers.

Thanks for the advice!

4. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    3m HDMI cable £5 from ebuyer.co.uk

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    AndyH

You don't need to splash out a fortune for a well engineered and manufactured HDMI cable.

In theory all digital cables should offer the same connectivity quality - in practice this is not the case.

On short cable runs the theory goes that HDMI should be fine with a piece of wet string - again not always the case; different generations of HDMI Transmitter and Receiver hardware can cause problems and different HDMI cables will work in one installation and not in another.

If you want a well engineered cable that doesn't 'cost a fortune' have a look here to see what's available - http://www.bettercables.com/newfor2004.html

Best regards

Joe

6. AndyH

AndyH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Thanks for the pointers - and also thanks for punting my query to the right forum, I had no idea there was one just for cabling - and in fact I've since noticed a couple of similar threads I could've searched for. Sorry 'bout that.

7. Lionheart

Lionheart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a nice 3m HDMI cable by Cambridge Audio from Richer sounds for £49 for my S97 and the picture is wonderful...the cable supplied with the player was not long enough and knowing the cost cables can be it seemed a reasonable price for an obviously well made cable