1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How much should I pay for projector installation?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Godfather, Sep 28, 2003.

1. Godfather

Godfather

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +224
    Just wondering how much is considered reasonable for the installation of a Sony VW12 projector and electric screen. The projector will need a mains socket on the ceiling. I've already bought 10m of component cables which will need to be concealed. Any idea how much I should pay for a professional installer to do the above? I've received a couple of quotes which seem too expensive (over £700!).

Many thanks.

2. cineman

cineman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I had my projector screen (manual pull-down) installed professionally over a year ago for just over £100 and I set up the projector on a table, but that was no good, so I then had the projector put on the ceiling a few months later for about £200.

Both were done by a top AV company in Norfolk. As your projector is a more expensive model than mine (Panny PT-AE100E), I'd expect no more than £500-£600 tops.

3. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    IMO I would DIY a LCD PJ installation. Not that hard, and you'll have some fun & learn how to set your PJ up. Fitting a shelf for the PJ, routing Component cables & installing a screen isn't that hard. You'll have that money spare to treat yourself as well :)

Obviously for a CRT ceiling mount you'll need heavy equipment- I would pay for that.

4. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,780
    It depends on what is involved and what your expectations are. If you don't mind conduit on the walls and ceiling then it's going to be cheaper than if you want a stealth installation where the cables are run in the walls and are not visible.

Gordon

5. Godfather

Godfather

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +224
    Thanks for the replies. I want as invisible an installation as possible, definitely no wires on the walls, etc. so I don't think I could manage the installation myself. I don't mind paying what's right, just don't want to be overcharged.

6. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    What ceiling is the pj going on? If carpet and floorboards need to be lifted and joists drilled, then that can be quite labour intensive. Chasing in a wall is quite a job sometimes, especialy if a large conduit is to be installed.

How much of that needs to be done do you think?

Gary.

7. Godfather

Godfather

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +224
    I'm not sure about the ceiling - I live in a flat in a block of apartments built 2 years ago. As for chasing in the wall, I can think of 3 'problems':

1. Mains wiring to the screen
    2. Mains wiring to the projector
    3. Video cables from the front end of the room to the pj

I'll take a few pictures of my room to give you a better idea of what's involved.

8. Godfather

Godfather

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +224
    The room is 9 feet wide and 16 feet long. Here's the front of the room where a 80" 16:9 electric screen will be installed:

[​IMG]

9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    I have installed in a very similar room and we charged £330 + Vat for installing Amp DVD 5 speakers sub PJ and Screen (PJ and Screen )not bought from us this was a semi stealth install conduit on walls and cables run through ceiling to PJ very sinilar flat by the looks so £700 does seem a lot but we arent in central london!

10. PFM

PFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    A possibility for your cabling requirements may be to install behind the skirting boards.

I completely revamped my SB's for this purpose (didnt fancy going through 20 joists in the ceiling or chasing out a concrete floor).

I have to say it has worked a treat, for hardly any significant outlay,

You could either DIY, or get a chippy in for half a days work (if you rip out the originals yourself)

good luck

11. Godfather

Godfather

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +224
    Here are the other angles:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I figure the pj will need to go on the ceiling directly above or slightly in front the sofa in order to project onto a 80" screen. So how hard is it to get a mains socket up there? Surely it's something that any qualified electrician can do? It would be ideal if the component cables could be run above the ceiling - I don't mind a conduit at the front of the room for the cables to go up the wall and then disappear into the ceiling.

Thanks for all your help.

12. Godfather

Godfather

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +224
    That's a good idea. But then I'll still need to get the cables up the wall and across the ceiling to the pj somehow.

Do any professionals or competent DIYers want to take up this install? :)

13. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Well you have recessed lighting so you get into your ceiling for a look at what its like you need to be brve some times but calculate the throw and get an idea where the PJ will sit and then work from their depending how the joists run you either come off to the side or run along to the screen wall and down behind the screen.

14. togad

togad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Just a quick thought - but wouldn't it be potentially easier to move your equipment rack to the back of the room?

I would have thought you'd save a fortune in video cables and have a lot less wall/ceiling to worry about.

15. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Another thought how did you run the speaker cable for the rears????

16. Godfather

Godfather

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +224
    Moving the equipment to the back of the room would mean long lengths of expensive L+R speaker wires, which will cost a lot more than 10m of component cable. It's also a stereo music system as much as a home cinema, so I want to keep the main speaker cables as short as possible.

My electrician wired the rears for me last year but he has since retired. He ran the wires up the front wall and then above the ceiling and then somehow got them to where the rears are now. I hope whoever does the install could do something similar with the component cables.

17. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    if speaker cable already in place it should be relatively easy to run the component lead.