1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How much should I be spending on an analogue interconnect

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by kopite, Apr 22, 2003.

1. kopite

kopite
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hiya all.

I got me cd player arcam 72t now I need to buy the interconnect from the earlier post on here I know I need an analogue cable but what would you guys reccomend as a good cable.

How much should I be spending ?

At the mom i`m using a yamaha dsp 630 ax Which i know is gonna strangle the cd player but I`ll buy a dedicated amp later in the year. for now its cable time :D

2. WhyAyeMan

WhyAyeMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +276
    Make your own, if your not akin to some DIY.

Check out the TNT X cables... http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/diyce2.html

I use on of these in my system, and compared it with several commercial cables, ranging from the humble £10 Cambridge Audio Atlantic, to the highly regarded £90 Sonic Link Violet.

The X1.5 beats them all, fair and square, and probably only costs a tenner to make, and a few hours of your time. Takes a while to bed in, but once it has, its an outstanding cable.

3. kopite

kopite
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Not to sure about making my own. MY cabling is usually messy (Starting to get better but my pc is still a mess :D)

I`ve been looking around and am looking at the following cables

QED QNEX 4
    Ixos 1002
    DNM Reson with Eichmann Bullet plugs

What do peeps reckon?

Any other options?

4. warrj

warrj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Without wishing to start a flame war I'd just like to point out that as far as I understand it a double-blind trial has never been conducted which shows any demonstrable difference between cables (assuming that they are OK from a basic engineering perspective).

Regards,

Jules.

5. kopite

kopite
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    so basically what your saying is that I there wont be any difference?

6. cookiemonster

cookiemonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is this hearsay and 'blind' cynicism - or have you actually demonstrated this to yourself?

:smoke:

7. kopite

kopite
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    right i`ve got it down toa choice of 2 cables which im gonna get tomorrow and test.

Getting the ixos 1002 - 30 quid
    chord cobra - 65 quid.

I have heard that the ixos is a lot better than the qed one I was looking at and the dnm cable isnt available from the shop I`m going and the only place i`ve seen it doesnt offer home trial.

Will keep you all updated

8. warrj

warrj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cookiemonster

I'd like to think it's 'healthy scepticism'. As I said I'm not aware of any double-blind trials. I did borrow a bunch of different interconnects from a dealer. I didn't know which was which and what the costs of any of them were (I subsequently discovered that the costs varied between 30 and 150 quid). I couldn't distinguish between any of them.

Regards,

Jules.

9. warrj

warrj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    kopite,

Basically, yes. All my interconnects are 30 quid a pair sets of QED cable. Cost much less than the '10% of system budget' which seems to be the received wisdom on the subject.

Regards,

Jules.

10. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,886
    It's worth remembering that everyone hears things differently. Lots of things sound harsh to me yet they don't to other people - so I never listen to magazine reviews too much

11. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I think the important point made was that cables built with sound principles in mind will tend to sound very similar..... you can certainly have cables which sound very different, but different doesnt exactly mean better.

My experience with interconnects basically has me with a cable i like because it is well shielded and seems to pick up less background noise than others. I have never been able to say one cable was better than another in terms of its actual musical abilities. I'd love to say this is because they are all the same, but as noted, individual perception plays a part. I question I would hear such minute differences.

Over all, get a cable you like. As long as the engineering basics are there, i think the most important point is your feeling on it. Whatever the reason! Few will admit it, but a nice looking cable will often sound good, simply because you expect it to! :D

ad

12. Sunday Ironfoot

Sunday Ironfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's psycho-acoustics for you :smoke:

Incidently I was comparing my current £30 Cable Talk interconnect with a cheap but fairly robust £10 Dixons cable. I felt the £30 did sound better (more detailed), but then again that could be atributed to that thing above. I'd like to try a really cheap low grade interconnect with, say, a £100 one, I'm sure there would be a difference there. Basically what I'm saying is that there reaches a point where you can't hear any more improvements.

13. WhyAyeMan

WhyAyeMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +276
    I've never subscribed to the *massive* differences that some people seem to get with interconnects, but I do believe there is a difference.

Reason being, is because when I had my Cambridge £10 interconnect, and I got my TNT cable, I expected it to sound better, and it did. However, when I got my VDH and Ecosse cables (v.v.cheap i might add), I expected both to win against my TNT. Initially they did. A few months later, I tried again, and to my surprise found that I much preferred the TNT, which sounded better to my ears. The difference was not huge however. Then, I got a £90 Sonic Link Violet (half price though, phew), and one would expect it to sound better than the TNT cable. But it doesnt. It sounds less lively.

So, I would suggest that interconnects do make a difference, but its not a large one, and as previously stated, in an A/B/X test, more people would *not* be able to tell than would actually care to admit it IMHO. Me? Well, I really wouldnt be surprised if I could not tell the difference in an A/B/X test as well. Dont underestimate the power of persuasion.

However, although I believe they make a difference (i.e. the TNT is demonstratably better than the £10 Cambridge, for example), do not expect a total system transformation, it rarely ever happens.

14. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Are you getting cables home to demo, or doing in a shop? If in the shop see if they will make it totally blind...... it occurs to me that some shops may not be willing to do this since it might prove their cable antics false.....

ad

15. kopite

kopite
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I tried them at home and made my brother change the cables for me.

There wasnt much difference between them but on a couple of songs there was a bit more range.

IT turned out taht the chords were slightly better and with the fact that they were only 10 quid more in the end(dont know if they had been put through wrong or something) then I didnt mind.

Now I need to get the cash for new speakers

16. dave48

dave48
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    After a lot of experimenting, I have never heard much difference between interconnects - apart from the really cruddy throwaway interconnects that come with downmarket kit.

Speaker cables have - to my surprise - made a huge difference. I was using some freebie cable that Acoustic Arts in Watford gave me with my first system back in the early 80s. A local dealer persuaded me to try some new cables. The difference was stunning - possibly the biggest single impact of anything I have ever changed in my system. I know it sounds a bit naff, but immediately it was all "3D" - great soundstage, you could hear where everything was placed in the soundstage, it was nicely focused and so on. Putting the freebie cable back in was like putting a duvet over the loudspeakers.

What freaked me out - and I still don't understand today - is why one of the two new cables made it sound as though I was sitting in about row 10 of the auditorium, whilst the other new cable sounded as though I was sitting on the edge of the stage ... don't understand the physics of this one.

17. WhyAyeMan

WhyAyeMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +276
    I'm not surprised - speaker cables have made more difference to my system than any other. What did surprise me was the difference a decent digital co-ax cable made - the difference over my £25 QED one was greater than any I/C I've had.

18. mark67

mark67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To be honest you should be looking to buy the Townshend Isolda Inteconnect. It really is an excellent cable. Even when you upgrade, It'll still be ahead of your HIFI.
    1 Meter for £250, what are you waiting for?

I have got a pair and boy am I impressed.

19. Magic

Magic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    If you are thinking of buying a different amp in the near future then maybe you should hold off on the cable upgrade until you have that, as there's no guarantee that what sounds good with the Yamaha will sound as good with something else.

It maybe woth looking around for a 2nd hand cable, as so long as you don't pay over the odds for it; you can always recoup most of the cost if you end up selling it. If you stick to the more popular btands like Chord, QED, vDH & CableTalk then you shouldn't have much trouble shifting it if needs be.

The other thing to bear in mind is matching the i/c to your speaker cables. There is generally a "house" sound from each brand, & a mix & match approach can be hazardous.

BTW the clearner, warts & all i/cs like Isolda might not make a good match for the Yamaha, so I'd look at Chord Siren & CableTalk Broadcast, which are both standouts in their range. The Chord is leaner, the CableTalk more rounded. I'd probably go for the latter.

20. kopite

kopite
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I eneded up with the chord cobra2 :D

Out of the cables I tried they were pretty similar althought the chord just pipped it

21. Karma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    As with most things it depends on the listener.

There are some who can't tell the difference between a £80 unbranded supermarket player and £2000 of the best of British.

Equally there are those who are so sensitive to absolute phase that even one side of a pair of phono connectors isn't plugged in the right direction they can tell.

There is a lot to the psycho acoustic arguement. After all 90% of a cymbals frequency response is above 20khz and hence the range of the majority of peoples hearing. Yet if you filter the sound of a recorded cymbal to remove the plus 20khz element it no longer sounds correct. Ask any drummer why they are disatisfied with the sound of CD! It's to do with harmonics i'm told.

BTW Paul Miller at Hi Fi News has done a few articles on the differences (measurable or otherwise) between cables.