1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How much (roughly) would an SDI mod to my FMJ27 cost?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Mark Ward, Mar 23, 2003.

1. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Most of the bits have arrived and I'm ready to start building my HTPC. I'm being drawn towards the H3D card but this will REALLY stretch my budget.

In order to fully benefit I'd also have to budget for an SDI mod.

Any ideas on cost?

Thanks,

Mark.

2. fatrich

fatrich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Mark,
    do you have a holograph card in your pc? if the answer is yes i personally wouldnt bother to get the fmj sdi modded, the picture via component in to the holograph card should be nearly as good as sdi so i would save your pennies.The mod its self from quotes i had for a denon 1600 to be modded were between £500.00 and £600.00.Which is a hell of a lot of money for little improvment.You could buy your self another servo 15 instead.;) :)

cheers

richard

3. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    OK, so I'm still on the fence here....

I've located a 2nd hand Holo3D card at a good price and My FMJ27's warrantee runs out anyway in August.

IF I wish to go SDI, is it possible to apply a mod kit to my FMJ27?

If not which would be a good alternative model to search out 2nd hand to modify?

Right now for DVD I can choose between:-

Theatertek with great picture, but less good sound and not so wife friendly.

or

FMJ via S-Video into D-Scaler with not quite so good a picture but with far better sound and easy for wife to operate.

I want it all! :D I want great sound and picture.

Any ideas? Richard.. I will obviously try the Component from the FMJ to the H3D first, but I can't get the comparison without doing the mod.

Cheers,

Mark.

4. GaryG

GaryG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Mark

What sound card are you using in your HTPC?

I use TheaterTek with an M-Audio 24/96 sound card, and the sound quality is better than the Arcam DV88 and Meridian 596 DVD players I used to have. It might be worth investigating some of Branx's posts (on AVS) where he's tested some of the high end cards, that should then give you the best picture and sound.

5. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I'm using the on-board SP/Dif from my Asus A7N8XDeluxe. I did ask the question about soundcards in the HTPC forum a few weeks ago and the Hammerfall was mentioned, however SDI has the appeal of Wife/Kids friendly stand alone player ability.

What I'm really trying to discover is if the FMJ27 is modable? If Yes then I buy the bargain H3D card I've been offered, if not I need to work out the best solution, whether a different player SDI modded or just upgrade soundcard. I'm thinking of using the mod kit here

Also.. has anyone compared SDI via H3d with TheaterTek? How do they compare picture quality wise?

I will look again at this as a solution but would still like the facts on FMJ's SDI possibilities as I have the player and can get a H3D card 2nd hand very reasonably from someone who's upgrading to a H3DII.

Cheers,

MArk.

6. GaryG

GaryG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've got a Faroudja NRS here that would solve your problem, but I suspect what I would want to sell if for would be more than what an SDI mod and a H3d card would cost.:(

7. SeaneyC

SeaneyC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    If money really is a make or break issue, instead of the holograph for SDI and all the other things it can do, couldn't you just use an SDI input card with Dscaler? Clearly i don't know the deal you have with this Holo3D board, so i'm not sure whether this suggestion is idle or not.

If you have a look at www.pmsvideo.com, there's a DIY SDI mod board for $100+P&P. If you are the adventurous type, it doesn't look too hard to install (looks like 6 or 7 wires to solder)and they sell $200+P&P SDI only input boards to complement.

8. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    We compared Arcam DVD 88+ via component to a holo3d HTPC against Xcard+PDI+holo3d (SDI but not needing Serialising) on Tony's Pioneer 433mxe plasma recently.

It was a night and day difference. Component didn't hold a candle to the digital video input. Component was slightly blurred and a bit flickery in comparison, whereas the digital input was rock solid.

regards,
    Rob.

9. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Thanks Rob and Sean:-

@Sean:- That's exactly the Mod I was mentioning in my last post in this thread. What I can't find out is whether this board is compatible with an FMJ27. Basically the Holo3D board is an almost new 2nd hand from a friend who's going for the "II" version at a "for a pal" price of £215. I know it's a bargain, I was just trying to asertain whether it was an approprite bit of kit for what I'm tryting to achieve.

@RobScreene:- That's very interesting. Guess I'm going to have to trawl through the 83 reply thread on the topic in the HTPC forum.

So.. I'll buy the H3D card as it would still be of use even if I don't go for SDI modded player.

The cost of SDI mod needs to be compared to the cost of upgrading the sound of my HTPC if I don't. If H3D card will be used for either slolution, the cost of the actual SDI work would be cheaper than, for example a decent RME soundcard.

Would an SDI Mod into H3D beat your Xcard solution? Actually I'll check the other thread before asking anything else.

CHeers,

Mark.

10. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,786
    The MPEG chipset in your FMJ27 should be SDI able. I don't know of anyone who has done one yet. I have a friend in Kent who could probably work it out but the cost is going to be BIG bucks for the first due to the time it'll take to work it out I'd guess

Gordon

11. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I guess I'd like to be the 2nd person with one then ;)

Seriously, I have a pal who is an audio electronics expert, If I can find sufficient information on SDI and what is required I'm sure I could ask him to do the work.

Didn't Jenz look into FMJ a little while ago? or is that wishful thinking?

Mark.

12. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Jenz is based around Panny RP82 DVD A players

13. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,786
  14. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    OK! So Arcam are sending me a FMJ27 circuit diagram, I can source the SDI mod kit and I have someone who can do the work (so long as I don't tell him how expensive the FMJ's are!)

Last minute thoughts.

1/ With DVI players on the horizon will SDI modding and FMJ be a pointless risk of a great machine?

2/ Sould I do the DVD-A upgrade first will will provide a Zoran 5 as opposed to the Zoran 3 in my nearly 2 year old FMJ? How much visual performance enhancement would this give?

Gut feeling is to do the mod on the original Zoran 3 chip as I'm not into DVD-A particularly; my Lex MC-1 can't even play it, but if there's the potential for vast video performance enhancement I may consider it.

3/ Is the PMC kit any good, are any SDI kits better performing than others? Is it good value for money over other kits?

4/ The Big Question:-

FMJ27 -> SDI -> Holod3D(I)

or

HTPC -> X-Card -> Holo3D(I) plus add RME Hammerfall(Lite) Sound

Which for ultimate performance? (I am assuming that the DVD's audio out is available to the RME Soundcard even when hardware decoded by X-Card, please correct me if not) Is there another option I'm missing?

Please forgive me if this is getting a little more HTPC than video processing specific, but to me it seems to fit more in this forum that the HTPC one.

Really not sure of best course of events here,

Mark.

15. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK here's my 0.02p!

I did look into the SDI FMJDV27... it was going to be hard and very expensive circa £1k for the mod at least :(

I use Panasonic RA82 SDI Players now which I can easily get. They are at a price point that is 1/3 the price of the DV27.

As to the use of DVI well that's a bit of a minefield because it appears that HDCP needs to be put on the connection which is going to cause problems (apart from Chinese clones like the V880).

Personally I still think that SDI is the way to go into a Holo2 and HD Aux bundle.

Many of my Customers are buying my Processor with the SDI Player.

Hope this helps. Neil.