1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how much "room to breath" is needed

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by chedmaster, Apr 30, 2005.

1. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    i have a CA azur which only has vents on the top (and a little at the back), and have just acquired an arcam alpha cd player, thought it looked goo where it is in the pic, but does the CA have enough ventilation room? theres loads of room around the other sides, what do you think? (ps its about 30mm to next shelf)

Attached Files:

2. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Looks fine to me, as heat rises it's not a big problem putting things beneath the amp and there seems to be plenty of room for airflow around it. I'm not sure how warm the CA actually gets but you'll get plenty of warning from the auto-cutout before any damage ensues. :)

3. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    thanks alot, it gets quite warm but i never feel heat actually coming off it, just warm to touch (i think it has digital amplifiers which might be part of reason?), just wanted to make sure, its house of flying daggers time now!

4. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    its getting a lot warmer than it was i think, will this shorten the life of the amp? ive ruined two sherwood amps by putting centres on't top, it looks so good like this so id rather not move it. is there anyway of putting a computer case fan in? would this invalidate the warranty? how would i power it? thanks in advance

5. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Rather than putting a fan inside the unit I would consider mounting a mains powered fan behind the whole unit, perhaps attached to the rack, that blows across the top of it. Places like Maplin and CPC have a wide range of fans although I'm not sure what their noise levels will be like. I'm pretty sure that other people have added fans to their AV cabinets so it might be worth a search in the DIY section for advice. :)

6. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    thanks, ill have a look

7. gazzerdaman

gazzerdaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    The Azur 540R already has a fan in which it adjusts the speed of depending on how hot and how hard you are driving the amp.

8. Harry T2

Harry T2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    And get the biggest fan possible. It will be able to move more air at less RPM's. Nothing worse than having a small fan "buzzing" away.

9. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    are you sure it has its own fan gazzerdaman? i can't see or hear anything and it was getting pretty hot last night. if i were to but a fan how would i power it? i could only find PC case fans, which obviously have a 12v pc connection. thanks for your help

10. gazzerdaman

gazzerdaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Definatly - I find if I run the amp for a while over 30DB it kicks in, maybe yours is faulty I dunno, It tends to slow down again if I turn the volume down. I think its temperature and load dependant (ie how hard the amps are being driven, and varies its speed accordinely

Hope this helps

Gary