Question How much room do you need for inside-out tracking?

bongady

Novice Member
Reaction score
I am looking to build a sim racing rig in a 3 foot wide space using an HP Reverb G2 so each side camera would be only 1 foot from a wall.

Will the tracking work?

I thought about creating patterns on the walls to help the cameras out but I don't know if there is a minimum focus distance.

I`m waiting for the G2 too. However I used the Rift S which has inside out tracking, I believe the G2 works similarly. You should be ok, as long as you have light, but your only issue is the size of the virtual vehicle you`ll be in. You might feel like reaching out further in the car to the right and hit a wall! But other than that you should be fine.

Last edited:
Agreed, you're going to be bumping your head in something that narrow TBH.

Agreed, you're going to be bumping your head in something that narrow TBH.

Yea. I think the best way to think of it is imagine a real car in your small room and how limited you would be. It`ll work in VR, just don`t go moving too much!

Thanks for the replies. I have secondhand bucket seats out of a rally car which effectively lock my body in place so I won't be able to hit my head or the G2 on the walls. It will just be my hands that are free so no waving to the crowd when I win a race or making rude gestures at other drivers :)

A well lit area and black shapes painted on the walls to create high-contrast points for the cameras to pick up will hopefully give me accurate tracking.

I just managed to find the G2 spec sheet and it says:-

Tracked area requirements
Standing / seated:No minimum space requirements

so all looks good unless someone has had real life tracking issues using an inside-out system in a corridor?

Now just the long wait for all the hardware to be available to buy.....

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom