1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How much power required for vid capture?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by MonkeyDonkey, Sep 25, 2002.

1. MonkeyDonkey

MonkeyDonkey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have a second PC sat next to me which doesn't do much at the moment, apart from the odd server app or a quick game when someone else comes round. Yesterday i got sent on offer on a Hercules 3d Prophet AIW 7500 for £88 so I've been considering snapping one up and turning this pc into a HDD vid recorder, but I'm not sure if's powerful enough. At first I thought there was no way it would be powerful enough but then I thought at the time of the first AIW's this would have been considered at least mid end.

Anyway its a self built sys:
    Gigabyte GA-5AX
    AMD k6/2 450
    128Mb Pc 100
    20gb Hdd

So was my first thought right, that it's too slow, or would it maybe work?
    I don't wanna spend too much money its not worth it at the mo, and I don't want to use my main PC (AXP 1600+, 512mb).
    I may come round to thinking about selling that system (if I could get anything for it) and building a powerful one, I think I could put something together for about £230/£250.

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,034
    Not familiar with the video card, but an appropriate one will do the majority of the work, so PC power isn't a huge issue.

I had a Matrox Rainbow Runner running on a P2 233 system (with 64mb of PC66 memory to start with) and it was quite capable of grabbing full motion video at 704x576 25fps with very few dropped frames.

Depending on the compression (done on the video card) you may need a monstrous amount of HDD space for full motion video. The Matrox card uses a proprietary compression method (Matrox M-JPEG) which reduces file size by a factor of about 10 (depending on settings).

In Win95 and Win98 there is an absolute ceiling on the size of a video file (2gb IIRC). I don't know if, and if so, in what version, this limitation (a Windows constraint) was lifted. The Matrox card gets over this by automatically creating >1 file if necessary, although it appears to drop a few frames at this point.

3. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The filesize limit is 4gB, & this is a limit imposed by Fat/Fat32 partitioning.

NTFS partitions have NO filesize limitations, but Win95 & 98/SE aren't compatible with NTFS partitions.

Win XP & NTFS the best combination IMO.

I dabbled with the PVR idea for a while & reckon you'd need a fairly powerful system for "on the fly" mpeg compression.

Haven't tried it again - some day ;)