How much performance boost from 7900GT to 9600 or 9800 [GeForce]

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by janmars, Feb 5, 2009.

1. janmars

janmars
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    It's been a long time since I last paid much attention to PC equipment so I am really out of touch.

My brother recently gave me a PC with the following specs:
    AMD 64 X2 Dual Core 3800+ (Clocked at 4500)
    2Gb RAM
    7900 GeForce GT 256mb

Basically I think the graphics card is probably a limiting factor here. Though for the most part I get good game performance from this PC, however I am thinking of upgrading the graphics card to one of the following:

9600 GT 512mb
    9800 GT 512mb
    9800 GTX+ 512mb

Which would be the best card to get? Keep in mind I would like to spend the least amount possible - though am will to spend enough to get the GTX+ but only if it is worthwhile. i.e. I don't want to waste money on a card that is going to be limited by the rest of my system.

Cheers for any help :)

Last edited: Feb 5, 2009
  2. Clunk

Clunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +446
    It depends on what games your playing, and of course what resolutions you're playing at.

As a general guideline though, even the 9600GT will offer around double the performance of the 7900GT in most situations.

Here's a comparison of the four cards from Tom's Hardware for you.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/...=on&prod[2074]=on&prod[2067]=on&prod[2096]=on
    It should be noted that the 9600GT they've used is a 1GB model though, whereas the 9800GTX+ and the 8800GT (which is identical to the 9800GT in performance by the way, so worth looking at) are both 512MB models.

3. Clunk

Clunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +446
    It's also worth considering ATi's cards as they are cheaper than nVidia at the moment at pretty much all levels.

For a rough guide on equivalent nVidia - ATi cards performancewise, check out the Hierarchy Chart at the end of their monthly Best Cards For The Money article:

Graphics Card Hierarchy Chart - Review Tom's Hardware : Best Graphics Cards For The Money: Jan. '09
    (Cards on the same level offer similar performance.)

Looking at your system specs, the GTX+ would probably be overkill unless you're wanting to play games over 1680x1050 resolution. The 8800GT, 9800GT or ATI's HD 4830 equivalent would do you well and last you through your next CPU upgrade too.

The 9600GT, (or ATI's HD 4670 which is only marginally slower, but cheaper and lower on power consumption than any of the other cards) would still be a great boost to your system. These two cards are still capable of running most current games at up to 1680x1050 on reasonable settings so could do a good job for you.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2009
  4. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I got my 9800GTX+ about a month ago, and it copes with anything I throw at it atm, on a 22" monitor
    Got it for £115+del Now are £110+del at aria

5. Lampshader

Lampshader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    what are you using the pc for, and if gaming what type of games. If you bought a GTX260/280/295 you would just be wasting money as the rest of your system cant push it enough to make a huge difference. I used a 8800gt for a while and that was quite good for the price tag i could play all games all be it not on the highest settings