1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How much of Loewe is Philips?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by SpiderManPants, Apr 20, 2003.

1. SpiderManPants

SpiderManPants

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I'm thinking of getting a Loewe TV (due to the glowing reports from various forum members!) and I just wanted to know how much of the internals were standard Philips components etc?
    The reason I ask is because I don't want to think I've shelled out a whole load of extra wonga on what is just a Philips set with a designer dress on!

Just to put you all in the picture, I've recently tried a Sony KV36FS76 which had a convergence problem, next I tried a KP44PS2, which had a black square at the top of the screen (prolly due to the Comet delivery guys having it sideways when carrying it through my frontdoor!:eek:)
    I've checked out the Philips Pixel+ and thought the picture was awful, too much processing on show!
    I like the picture quality on the Toshiba 36ZT29B, but that speaker mesh at the bottom was already pealing off in the shop.
    The only TV I've ever seen to be as near to perfect to my eyes was a Sony KV36FS70, but I wasn't in the market to buy at the time!
    So now I'm looking towards the Loewe sets because of the good reports I've read from all the owners on here.

I like the look of both the Articos and the new Mimo, but there is a drastic price difference for what both seem to be 100Hz 32" sets.
    I wish Loewe produced a 36" set at around the 2.5k mark, and then I wouldn't have all this uncertainty! :(
    Well I'd still be asking the question "How much of Loewe is Philips?"

I was thinking maybe Groundy or Gordon might know?

Thanks for looking

SMP

2. silent lucidity

silent lucidity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    From some comments I've read I'm led to the belief that Philips OEM parts are of a better quality than they actually put in their own T.V's.Loewe are well known for the quality of their components and I'm sure a few Loewe owners will be along shortly to testify to that.With that in mind I'd just let your eyes do the buying for you,if the picture looks good then go for it!

3. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the sony kv36fs70 is available from £900.00 it's still one of the best I've seen for p/quality I only opted for a 36 tosh p/frame because the shape fitted my living room best.

4. irish boy

irish boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi i have a Articos i dont know what componets that are in the TV all i can say it is worth everypenny that i paid for it.If you get this TV you will not regret it the picture quality is awesome check it out for yourself.Like you i browsed this forum before i bought i had no intention of buying a Loewe until i came across this forum.

5. evans

evans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Have a look at the jvc 32d25 with dist its really good Im very happy with both sound from the speakers and the picture quality which in pro scan mode is almost cinema like quality on some movies.

6. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,785
    Last time I looked inside one of these it looked to me like just the tube (in certain models) was a Philips.

Gordon

7. evans

evans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    some people said the european models of the jvc are made in coventry I think they said and the tubes are toshiba

8. AV Geeza

AV Geeza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    As far as I know its only the tube that is Philips. I have the Articos and it really is a stunning set in every way!!

As regards to Loewe doing a 36" for £2.5k, well, I believe you can get the Aconda 38" for around that price, so problem solved!!

9. Mick da Miller

Mick da Miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  10. evans

evans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    the jvc is stunning such a clear picture on most dvds, I really dont care if its a philips as im sure most loewe owners dont care.

11. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    As Gordon says, it's just the Philips Tube that Loewe use in their TV's - they use Toshiba tubes in some models as well. All the Digital Processing circuitry and front-end is Loewe's own and this is where it excels.

12. SpiderManPants

SpiderManPants

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've thought about this model, but hasn't it got a curved tube, i.e not totally flat??? :confused:

Can someone confirm this?

Thanks for the replies thus far

SMP

13. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The 38" Aconda is a curved screen - and a very large one when standing in front of it :D.

14. AV Geeza

AV Geeza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    As Groundy says, it is curved!! But the picture quality on such a large CRT is excellent!! :smashin:

I wouldn't like to try lifting it!! Even with someone else!! :zonked:

15. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it's against the law anyway.