How much of a soundtrack is 'mid-range' ?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Bristol Pete, Nov 24, 2002.

1. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +309
    This is speaker related. I have avoided purchasing satellite speakers as people continually state

"ooh, lacks midrange."

anyhow, heres my question. In a sub/sat system, If the sub does the low end stuff, say, anything from 120hz down the sats do the treble and the high stuff, where does the mid range sit in this.

Are people saying that if you bought a sub sat system you would quite literally miss sonic mid points in a sound track due to the lack of mid, ergo jumping from high to low without taking down the sound scale 'slowly'

I hope this makes sense. Oh and I know that dearer sub sat systems do carry mid, such as the kef eggs.

And mores to the point, will the human ear detect it ???

Whaddya think ???

Captain Benefit.

2. EvilMudge

EvilMudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mid-range

There isn't any agreed standard on what constitutes the mid range of a speaker, though most manufacturers will agree to anything between 80-125Hz being the bottom end of it, and anything up to the crossover point for the tweeter being the upper limit. Musically it's supposed to be the four octaves either side of middle C, which should cover all musical instruments except percussion.
    Where a sub-sat usually lacks is in the area of 80-250Hz, because the response of the speaker is a few dB lower at these frequencys than it is above them. It is audible, but different people will percieve it differently.
    In most systems it's not a hole in the spectrum, more a dip. Some may be more sensitive to this than offers (especially if they're over 35 or have some hearing damage).

One thing that get's missed out is that quite often the sub-sats are designed to partner a specific amplifier and this has a raised power output in the midrange to compensate for the dip.