1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How much of a problem is screen burn on plasmas these days?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by NicolasB, Mar 16, 2005.

1. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    Came across the following delightful link:

http://www.plasmavision.com/plasma_faq.htm#burn_in

If Fujitsu themselves are saying, essentially, "you can only watch non-widescreen television in the wrong aspect ratio, otherwise you'll get screen burn" that's not very reassuring.

As for the idea of "pleasantly stretching" TV pictures, the mind boggles. :rolleyes: :nono:

2. sdk

sdk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think it is that big a problem unless you leave it like that for to long.

3. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    No, really? You don't say. :rolleyes:

The question is: how long is "too long"? :)

4. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Just to make you laugh i was in the Aberdeen branch of shop@panasonic on saturday looking at the pw7. I asked the salesman cover in the 5 year gauarantee regarding dead pixels and screen burn. His reply? 'Screen burn is a myth and does not affect plasmas at all.' :rotfl:

When i assured him he was wrong and screen burn is a very real problem with plasmas and i have first hand expeirience of it he got rather upset.

5. nealgs

nealgs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would say you would have to leave it on for a good few days before any sign of screen burn occurred.

You tend to get some after image effects for example, the sky info bar leaves an after image on our display even after a minute or so of being on, but this fades pretty quickly.

Kids watching kids channels etc a few ours a day leaves an after image of the stupid Sky station logos :mad: but again, they fade pretty quickly.

Gary

6. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    i don't get any image retention at all on the pw7, even after prolonged exposure to those bloody annoying on screen logos

7. stevelup

stevelup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    It really does depend on the panel.

I've got a 6 Series Panasonic and it seems completely impervious to screen burn.

We accidentally left our TiVo paused on the same screen for over an hour with no ill effect. It was a pretty bad scene to leave it on too as it was a fairly bright image in 4:3 mode with the black bars at the side.

I can't even say there was no lasting effect - there was simply no effect at all.

Regards,

Steve

8. bluevortex

bluevortex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    Da rude baboon, i was recently in the panasonic shop in aberdeen. I might aswell have been speaking to my gran about plasma's all the help he was. he went on to tell me the PW7 with tuner box was a good deal at £2400!! He knew very little about input boards other than cost and suggested the media box as best for my needs (insult) yeah right! Just aswell i was only in there for sneaky at the 37" & 42" PW7 setup before buying from AV sales.How they scratch a living is beyond me, USELESS :thumbsdow

blue :rolleyes:

9. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Yeah i was only in as its the only place in the NE i can find to view the PW7's. I was nice and polite to the guy when i told him screen burn does exist but he looked like he was going to cry. Afterwards he then explained how all tvs get screen burn which is a big leap from its a myth. :suicide:

10. edinburgh160

edinburgh160

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I find that if I am watching say LOTR extended version (about 4 hours) where the ratio gives you the black bars you do get the lines after but they soon disappear after regular viewing.
    I have had my screen for about 4 months now, and have been careful especially when playing xbox games where (eg) there is a speedometer permanently on the screen. About 2 hours and I take a break.
    You can get paranoid, but i wouldn't feel secure in leaving anything on for more than 5-6 hours or so.
    I wish SKY channels, BBC and ITV would quit with their logos - we know what we're watching !!!!!!!!!

11. Gojira

Gojira
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I see the occassional flicker on my LG after using teletext bus this fades reasonably quickly or I use the whitewash function.

Strangely, my Panasonic dvd logo (the one before you load a disk)leaves a ghost image after a minute or so despite being quite a dark blue!

12. Brooktop

Brooktop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    yeah...i noticed that last night; I turned off the PW6 and the DVDR and noticed that the DVD Ram logo was still glowing for a bit although that logo had only been on for seconds. It faded though after about 30 secs. Sure I've seen a similar effect on CRTs in the past.

13. Hudson

Hudson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi,

I am recent member..... what about the DLP rear projection sets, are they a fair match for an ''average'' plasma, ie in picture quality (DVD and Freeview). I understand these do not suffer screen burn but you have the replacement of the bulbs to content with... is this a fair assesment or am i missing something vital !

14. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Hudson, you are on the money, it's the bulbs that's the biggie on RPTV of the LCD or DLP type.

As you see from a good straw poll of plasma owners, a good wide selection, very helpful, it varies from make to make. It's noticeble that plasmas with high light output burn or after image more readily than the somewhat more gloomy variety. After image is in fact embryonic screen burn, just it 'wears off' as the surrounding phosphors get burnt to the same degree. Whitewash does the even wearing for you, best to use it as little as possible as it wears the phosphors more rapidly. Ordinary caution is all that is required for preventing burn in. Edinburgh has the idea, if you turn the game off before your brain fries, most likely you will also save the life of your plasma.