How much of a limitation is room size?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by mister_d, Mar 13, 2013.

1. mister_d

mister_d

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I'm on the verge of putting in an offer on a house which is highly appealing in a number of ways, but unfortunately has small rooms - the spaces I can choose between are a 4x2.9m bedroom and a 4x4m living room (with a 1m square missing in the corner for the stairs). If it makes any difference, the living room is open plan to a 3x4m kitchen through an arch around 1-1.5m wide on the rear wall near the corner; if that doesn't help, and I assume it won't, then I'll almost certainly go with the bedroom as I know squares are a nightmare to work with.

Now I know that such environments don't completely preclude acceptable results, as my Naim 5i-2/Audiovector Mi1 combination did a reasonable job in my old 3.6x2.7m room. I'd just like to know whether it's always going to be a major struggle to get the most out of what I put in there compared with a slightly larger room, given that I don't need slamming bass but don't want to skimp too much there either. More specifically, I'm curious whether either room can do justice to a setup with around a £1-2k (second hand) component cost, which should offer a nice upgrade from my current one.

I know it may seem I'm basing a major decision on a seemingly minor issue, and if my initial offer is accepted I'll be more than happy to proceed and live with the limitations as the house has so much else going for it. If not though at some point I'll need to consider whether to keep going higher, and at that point I think it's not unreasonable for factors like this to come into play. My alternative will be hanging on to see what else comes up while saving more deposit money, as I know there are bigger properties not too far out of my reach, and ultimately I don't want to regret not holding out for one.

Thanks for any thoughts...

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  2. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,438
    Either of the rooms you mention should be no issue setting a system in. You may need to be a bit careful on what you buy to prevent a boomy sound since the speakers are going to be pretty close to the wall and/or corner. However, there are plenty of speakers that will work very well in those sized rooms so you should still be able to create a good sound.

3. mister_d

mister_d

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I've just reformulated the first post to make it slightly more precise and concise so it's hopefully an easier read, I think PMS1's reply still makes as much sense after the changes...

4. dogfonos

dogfonos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    Agree with PSM1. Room proportions and layouts, as you suggest, are often more of a problem than actual size. Don't forget, near-field studio monitors are designed for close up (1-2 metres) listening, often in small spaces - and many examples cost over a grand.