How much of a difference does real black filter make?

PeterC

Standard Member
Reaction score
As topic title suggests, is real black filter worth having?

Basically while fairly good with technology, I don't really keep up with the latest tvs and such so i'm not too sure what difference stuff makes. Anyway, i'm looking at buying a 3d tv mid December and pretty much decided on the ps50c7000. It was considered a top range samsung plasma and eventhough it's stretching my budget quite a bit, seems like a worthy investment.

Anyway i've been keeping tabs over on Amazon on prices and for about a week now they listed the c7000 for £1074 which had me jumping for joy as it was perfect price for my budget however since then, it's now gone back to £1245 or something. I've also been looking at the c6900 which is almost identical and at a better price bar the real black filter. Checking that out today I see amazon are doing a GREAT deal for the tv + 3d blu ray player + 3d starter kit for roughly £1079. This offer is looking so tempting especially seeing as £1250 is stretching my budget and with the risk of not getting 3d glasses included which would add another 70 quid on.

So is real black filter worth it? Basically I have an early sharp hd lcd and looking to upgrade to something a lot better. To justify the hefty price I really want to be wowed by the quality of the picture which while shouldn't be too difficult seeing as when I saw wall e in hd I nearly went for the kleenex to clean up the drool.

By all accounts there is little to choose between the 6900 and the 7000, the 6900 also has a 'real black' filter, just lacking something Samsung call 'filterbright' technology. As far as I can tell on mine this just helps contrast in brightly lit rooms. Given that all other features are equal, the 6900 is looking like a real bargain at the moment.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom