How much louder should balanced connection be?

robfitzp

Just switched to a couple of balanced cables between cd/pre and pre/power and the difference in volume over single ended connection is ludicrous - have to use the first few settings on my music first passive pre (which are not the best for sound quality) and quiet listening is impossible.

I had assumed this is the result of the output gain on the CD player in balanced mode being much higher than in single ended mode but it is not the case if I connect CD/pre balanced and pre/power single ended, i.e. only if XLR throughout.

Has anyone tried the balanced rothwell attenuators?

Cheers
Rob

mhuk05

Your CDP must have a lot of gain if it is still too loud with a passive pre.

I have that problem with an active pre (and have to use SE cables with it), but my passive is fine with XLR.

I haven't used the Rothwell attentuators; have read that attenuators from a guy called Iain Lambare are good. He makes them as either connect to amplifier or connect to the item (CD player usually or connect to pre-amplifier). [email protected] or fleabay sometimes; not used them myself.

robfitzp

I thought that would be the cause but if I go back to rca between the pre and the power (cd-pre still xlr) it becomes usable again.

Thanks for the email address, will get in touch.

Cheers
Rob

robfitzp

Just wanted to thank you for putting me on to Iain Lamb - had a really helpful email from him, he had looked up the specs of my kit and has suggested values, plus his custom ones are less than half the price of the Rothwell ones. Well worth a go:thumbsup:

Cheers
Rob

The latest video from AVForums

LG C1 OLED TV Best Picture Settings for SDR, HDR and Dolby Vision
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom