1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How much lip-sync delay on the Marantz SR5500?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by alanfcross, Mar 24, 2005.

Tags:
  1. alanfcross

alanfcross

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Marantz web site is pretty useless, as most of you will know! It makes reference to "lip-sync control" (with an "X", which I think means 'yes' rather than 'no'!). Does anyone know how much delay can be dialled in? Some satellite broadcasts are way out, and then I have to add the plasma delay, so the more the better. I see Yamaha do 160 mS (on the 650) or 240mS (on the 1500), and the Denon 2805 does 200mS. I'd like to include the Marantz 5500 on my options list, but not if I don't know the max sync delay. Anyone know the answer?

2. Eitzel

Eitzel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Top Secret-Anyone coming anywhere near my Pioneer
    Ratings:
    +142
    I've just bought a Yamaha DSP-AX750SE (at a fantastic £350 from Richer Sounds BTW). It has a global delay of 0-160ms. Setting it at 60ms has rid me of all lip-sync problems. The sound is wonderful and I'm very happy with it. :clap:

3. Menelaos

Menelaos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

The (My) SR7500 manual indicates lip sync correction up to 200 ms. Maybe you can check the SR5500 manual.

Greetz,

Menel.

4. outtathaway

outtathaway
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    200 m/s if I remember correctly, seems to be enough to sort out all my lip sync issues. Sky+, Sweetspot into Plasma.

5. Raks

Raks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have two similar questions:

1. What is the maximum Lip Sync in milli secs needed in the world of HD Broadcasting ?

2. What is the max lip sync in milli secs we can set on Marantz SR-5500 and HK AVR 635 ?

Thanks

6. Raks

Raks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are you taking care of the Lip Sync problems on DVD with your 60 milli sec setting ? Does your 60 milli sec Lip Sync delay setting adress the HD braodcasting Lip sync issues and the Plasma / DLP delay as well ?

7. Eitzel

Eitzel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    I have my delay set at 62ms and this solves all of the lip-sync problems I had when I first had my plasma. Hope this helps.

8. Raks

Raks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Eitzel....Sorry for troubling you with one more question.

1. I am assuming that 62 milli secs Lip Sync Delay was enough for you to overcome all the audio video sync issues for you for watching any HD broadcasting and DVD on your Plasma. Can you please confirm ?

I know that HD broadcasting itself will have delay in video and then the plasma image processing can compound it by adding one more set of delay. This is one of the worst case scenarios. That is why I was asking that question again.

Now..here is the reason. I am struggling to deicide between my receiver choices. Marantz SR-5500 and HK AVR 635. Both have Lip Sync Delay feature with 80 Milli Secs on HK and 200 Milli Secs on Marantz. Sonically I want the HK, but Marantz gives the additional flexibility to overcome A/V Sync Issues. That is why I am pestering you again.

Thanking you

PS: I actually gave up on Marantz SR-8400 as it does not have a Lip Sync feature. I actually like Marant SR-8400 the most sonically.

9. Eitzel

Eitzel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    We don't have HD broadcasting in the UK, as yet, it's due to begin at the start of next year. Although there is a subscription sat. station testing at the moment, I haven't seen it, so I cannot comment. I think up to 80ms global delay should be enough but of course 200 would be safer. Can you get a demo with both? As I said, 62ms is the setting on my Yam. that I use as a universal setting and it does sort all of my lip-sync issues out when using DVD, SKY satellite TV and Playstation 2.

I think that a global delay option should be a standard feature on all AV amps these days. It's so vital now. I had to change my older amp because it didn't have this when I got my Plasma. The lip-sync problems drove me crazy! Sorry I couldn't help with the HD stuff. :smashin: