• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

How much is this worth?

Big Starbuck

Prominent Member
if its second hand without any upgrades you may be lucky to get £150 for it.

core 2 duo is thier budget cpu's the hdd isnt overly high in capacity, the rams fairly decent but still minimal and the gpu isnt up to much.

then add in the fact its second hand, vista, and only the tower, really wont get to much for it.

you may find that stripping it down and selling it off as parts may be your best bet.

say £170 for the mobo, cpu and ram as a bundle, can try listing it on ebay for £200 as a bundle, then £20 for the graphics card, £15 for the case and psu together and £10 for the dvd drive.

if they all sold that would net you a total of £315 but the dvd drive probably wouldnt sell nor the GPU.

try that on ebay. also buy some anti static bags for posting them in then pack them in buble wrap and jiffy bag, or a box for the bundle instead of a jiffy bag.

if you sell on ebay, use first class recorded delivery for ALL listings and paypal only and dont accept local pick up if they pay via paypal as anything other than this can cause all kinds of problems like chargebacks, item not received claims and so forth.

oh and as for the hdd. you can sell this off as a formatted hdd for £30. if you do sell it off in parts, remember to remove the vista COA sticker from the case. keep it somewhere safe as then you have your liscence still.

you CAN put up the price of the case if you leave the COA sticker on and supply installation disks for vista as if you DONT remove it and you sell the case you are effectively selling your vista liscence and will no longer have any rights over that product key.

hopefully that will give you some informed info, try to give as much info as i can do anymore questions pop them up.

Last edited:

Big Starbuck

Prominent Member
Thanks for the tips mate. Parts on ebay it is then.

Now I need to do some more research on what i'll need for a decent gaming rig. Oh joy! :rolleyes:

run a search on this forum for custom gaming rig

should pull some ideas for you.

but! some starter points.

i7 cpu or amd equivalent
i7 mobo with triple channel ram support such asthe MSI x58 pro (i use that board and its legend, loads of usb ports, esata, ethernet yardi yardi)

GTX280 at least for decent graphics of high settings.

6gb ram should do you quite happily.

big case. reason for this is air flow, this will allow for better airflow or room to add wate rcooling which iwould recomend water cooling over fans.

ssd hdd for your operating system and a standard hdd for your data and aprograms/games to be installed on and music and what ever else.

corsair modular psu wattage depends on your chosen parts.

whats you budget for the build?

Big Starbuck

Prominent Member
run a search on this forum for custom gaming rig

should pull some ideas for you.

but! some starter points.

i7 cpu or amd equivalent
i7 mobo with triple channel ram support such asthe MSI x58 pro (i use that board and its legend, loads of usb ports, esata, ethernet yardi yardi)

GTX280 at least for decent graphics of high settings.

6gb ram should do you quite happily.

big case. reason for this is air flow, this will allow for better airflow or room to add wate rcooling which iwould recomend water cooling over fans.

ssd hdd for your operating system and a standard hdd for your data and aprograms/games to be installed on and music and what ever else.

corsair modular psu wattage depends on your chosen parts.

whats you budget for the build?
I don't really have a budget to be honest (not that money is no object, far from it), but I'd like to run all the current games at max settings so i'll see what best combination of parts can do this and how much that comes to.

I have a question regarding monitors; could I use my Samsung 32B550 or would I be better off buying a smaller dedicated pc/hd monitor?

gaming, 24" dedicated monitor

if money is no problem then try going for one of the GTX4xx model graphics cards.

better graphical processing on them so better outputs.

also maybe consider 2 80gb ssd's in raid configuration. that will give 120gb effective storage for your o.s then a 2TB hdd for data and games and other apps to be installed on.

2TB might seem alot but if you install LOADS of games then add movies (maybe some hd movies) music, pictures, documets, program files it soon adds up lol.

i would definatly go for water cooling as the GTX4xx range will kick out some heat.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom