how much is this amp worth?

wouldnt have a clue on price, but does look nice and well built and is great if you have a bluray player with a 7.1 out then you could have had sound as the pioneer has 7.1 input,
personally for me it to dear already, no hdmis and just got an onkyo 875 which is quality in new condition for £250 delivered.

Thats what I am thinking for 200 I can get something new thats not too bad ,the lack of hdmi connectivity does not bother me,I just want a powerful quality amp and because its a bit out of date I am hoping to get an old decent amp rather than a modern average one

Lack of HDMI makes it very difficult to use as a home cinema receiver I would have thought.

when the 875 come out it was £1000 so its not a bad amp, but i just wouldnt pay more than £100 for that at a push,

How would you connect this receiver to a modern flat screen TV? HDMI has all but replaced analogue video. And what sources will connect to the amp? Again, lack of HDMI reduces your options. Thirdly, no HD soundtrack decoding is going to give relatively poor sound quality from Blu-ray or SKY HD.
Other than that, it's absolutely bang on :cool:

How would you connect this receiver to a modern flat screen TV? HDMI has all but replaced analogue video. And what sources will connect to the amp? Again, lack of HDMI reduces your options. Thirdly, no HD soundtrack decoding is going to give relatively poor sound quality from Blu-ray or SKY HD.
get a bluray player with 7.1 pre-out on and use them(pcm) connect to the 7.1 input on the amp and hd sound(identical to yours) job done, hdmi from bluray player to tv job done.

Last edited:
jakesterboy said:
Lack of HDMI makes it very difficult to use as a home cinema receiver I would have thought.

That's not really true at all, it all depends on what kit the OP has in his current set-up. However, I would definitely advise him to reconsider his position re HDMI connectivity, as it's always a good idea to keep one eye on the future and there is no doubt in my mind that, whilst he may not need It at the moment, he almost certainly will in the future.

Cheers,

Martin.

i run the cable straight from my tv to the dvd or tivo box,then connect them with optical cables they sound awesome to me,mind you i am new to all this but my cousin has a full hdmi set up with his onkyo 605 but unless I am missing something it sounds no better than mine all he seems to do is save a few cables running from the tv

now to find one at that price:).shame the one ive seen wants 199 doubt hell come down 70+ quid

its strange but I prefer the look of these chunky slightly older receivers

Well, it's always the same isn't it?
They always cost more than you want and you can't sell for as much as you want :D

You could always refer him to the thread and make him an offer?

Thirdly, no HD soundtrack decoding is going to give relatively poor sound quality from Blu-ray or SKY HD.

I have to say that your statement re poor sound quality from Sky HD without an HDMI connection is totally wrong. Sky do not output DD5.1 from their boxes via HDMI, only via co-ax or optical.

Cheers,

Martin.

I have to say that your statement re poor sound quality from Sky HD without an HDMI connection is totally wrong. Sky do not output DD5.1 from their boxes via HDMI, only via co-ax or optical.

Cheers,

Martin.

thats what I thought I have had my sky+hd box and tivo set up with optical cables and it sounds incredible,I just connect the box to the tv with hdmi

that looks nice indeed, if you dont need hdmi - i would suggest that spec and build quality is mighty fine for the money, albeit circa £50 more than some have gone for, but sometimes with something out of production you have to pay a bit more if you want it in the here and now.

dates from around 2003 as far as i can tell.

reminds me of my yammie z11 in terms of build and chunk, even looks like the same oil dampened door front, doesnt look as if it would pack in like some cheapo electronics! :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom