1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How much is the Bryston 6B SST?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by nathan_silly, Jun 4, 2003.

1. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I guess it won't be cheap. :D

Thanks

2. codling

codling

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    nathan,

the 6b sst srp is£3850.but you can knock off at least 10%.

carl

3. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    eek! What other high quality, high powered 3 channel poweramps are there?

I know of the Rotel 993, but I prefer a bit more detailed sound- the Rotel seems to lack something compared to the Audiolab (Rotel has higher power, but two people both though the Audiolab sounds better)

4. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    You can find amps like the Krell KAV 500 for around £2k secondhand,and yes nathan,I do know it's a 5 channel amp,but some of these are well worth looking at....unbreakable,and usually deliver power well in excess of their rating.
    e.g.My KMA100s have been measured at nearly 200W into 8ohms...the KAV series were good amps,not as good as the SST Brystons.....but good all the same,without the price tag.

5. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    A few places list a 3 channel version of the 9B SST but, strangely, there is no mention of this model on brystons website.

See here: Bryston 9B SST THX-3 channel = £2, 750: http://www.music-at-home.co.uk/html/hc/hc_bryston.html

This would be even nicer - 6 channels but can be bridged to 3:

http://www.hometheatersound.com/equipment/belcantodesign_evo6.htm

The conclusion in the above link tells you just how good it is. However, looking at the US price methinks we are looking at £5K plus over here.

Matt.

6. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks. (if) my PX isn't good enough then I'll be looking for a three channel- normal powering the 2.2's, and the third for a SVS CS-Ultra. Or maybe a five channel poweramp, four to bi-amp the 2.2's, the last channel for the CS-Ultra.

How good are multi-channel poweramps compared to several 2 channel poweramps or monoblocs though? Are several poweramps better than a single 8 channel for instance?

7. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    Have you thought of just adding a second (or even third) PX or something similar to match Nathan?

8. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Vikki you should know how many amps I've got! :)

For a subwoofer I would like 200W+ (if) the PX's aren't powerful enough for the 2.2's I guess another PX will help, but not on the power output side of course.

Soon find out....getting the 2.2's soon... :)

9. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    Yes I know about power ... but surely in a room that size it's more about control than power ... wouldn't have thought you'd need THAT much power.

Usually stereo and mono-block amps are better because as they increase the number of channels of amplification, they don't increase the avaliable power from the PSU linearly. If you look at the power consumption of a 5channel amp (usually) you'll find it's not 2.5x the power consumption of the equivilent 2 channel amp. Of course at moderate levels thats not so important.

Vikki

10. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    If you are talking about KEF Ref 2.2's, I found that they weren't that difficult to drive - two channels of my Rotel RB985MKII THX (5X110watts) drove them with ease. Lovely speakers the 2.2's by the way - the imaging is superb.

What about something like a bridged NAD 218THX for the sub - 780 watts (bridged) @ 8ohms!! http://www.discount-home-electronics.co.uk/hifi/Nad_218THX.shtml or a pair of them for the front 3 plus the sub?

Or a bridged 218THX for the sub and a Parasound HCA2205 for the 5 normal channels?

The choices are endless.

Matt.

11. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
  12. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ta Matt. So it looks like the PX's will be fine. Adding another PX will help. I'll look into getting another PX later on (if I can find one)

13. garmtz

garmtz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Nathan, I advise you to take a serious look at a used Parasound amp. They make a great match with Lexicon gear and have a fabulous price/quality relation. They have built a fabulous 3-ch amp, the HCA-2003.

14. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Garmtz- I've been using a single PX with the 2.2's for two days now- they're fine. I'll change the system over so I can biamp with two PX's.

Adding or replacing amps for the L/R could be depredatory- as the gains will be different (say Parasound for L/R, Audiolab for others)

15. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try the new kid on the UK block. The american ATI company produce superb amps starting from the 1800 range (pictured) to the immensely powerful 3000 range.
    http://www.ati-amp.com/at1800.html

Attached Files: