1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How much is my Sony VPL-VW10HT projector worth ?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by adam*B, Nov 10, 2004.

1. adam*B

adam*B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello

Am thinking of selling my Sony VPL-VW10HT projector....but have no idea what it's worth. It's only been used for 200 hrs or so, and is in mint condition. No dead pixels too...

Can anyone give me an idea ?

Many thanks in advance

2. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    Always difficult these ones. How much did you buy for and how long you had it ?

I may consider selling my HS20 which is circa 50hrs and spotless mint and about 5mths old and has a 5 year warranty on it. It's difficult to put a price on it ? I would guess the HS20 supercedes the VW10 in many ways further detracting from it's value.

Why not stick it in the classifieds with a price and open to offers ? You should find out soon enough !

3. stevelup

stevelup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    In case it's of any interest, one went on Ebay last week with a blown lamp and 1900 hours on the clock - It sold for £436.

So I guess 436 + whatever a lamp costs *may* be the going rate. Not very scientific I realise!

Regards,

Steve

4. adam*B

adam*B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys for the feedback.

I hope the Sony VW10HT is still highly thought of...I paid £4,500 about 3 years ago....it is difficult to guage a price, isn't it ? It was being sold for £6000 not so long ago !!

Thanks once again :)

5. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    It's worth more than £436+lamp, probably up around the £1k'ish mark I would have thought ?

VW12HT can be had for £2.5k but were being sold at under £2k brand new not so long ago.

6. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Not with the performance of new projectors that can be bought for one to one and a half K these days. Id say that price is about right :)

7. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    What makes me laugh is you've only done 200 hours in 3 years !

8. adam*B

adam*B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know.....! Says a lot that really....where does the time in the day go ?? :confused:

Which £1500 projector is better than my Sony...? Would be very interested to compare....

Thanks

9. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +721
    No offense, but probably any of them!

I sold my VW11HT earlier this year with just 400 hours, for well under £1000.
    I paid over £4000 for it 2 years ealier :eek:

My first DVD player was £600 and would now probably be outperformed (certainly out-specd) by a £30 player from your local supermarket. That's 5% of the initial price.
    The projector market hasn't quite gone that far yet, but its not far off.

I think you'd be lucky if you got much more than £500 for your VW10, but I could be wrong.

10. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    The Sanyo Z3, The Panasonic AE700, The Infocus 4805........
    most of the £1300 projectors around now will outperform the Sony in contrast, video processing and in most cases the lack of pixelation within the image.

11. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    I would value your Sony at around £600 -£800 depending how much someone wants one!!!...
    It was a fantastic advancement in LCD widescreen projectors when it first came out, but now it is cumbersome, has a low contrast ratio and even though it has a high resolution, it still displays some of the dreaded 'chickenwire' effect that newer LCD models such as the AE700 have solved.

12. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    Haven't seen a VW10 but have seen a 12HT. Difference between picture on a 12HT and HS20 was marginal but would give it to the 12HT having the edge, but lacked a digital connection.

Since the HS20 is not surpassed by the AE700 or the Sanyo Z3. The 12HT still holds it's owns and it's built like a tank, pure quality. That can not be said of the newer brigade for sure, being prone to dust ingress problems and the like.

Of course the 12HT is not a 10HT and I can't say how inferior that machine is in that respect.

13. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    I think they made some major advances with the 12HT from the 10HT. Better contrast, better image smoothness etc. I agree the 12HT is a superbly built projector, but I think most people these days want to move away from the room dominating mass of a big projector ( That's one of the reasons why CRT projectors never really took off big time) and have something that sits discretely somewhere and lets the massive image do all the talking. In that respect, the 10HT/12HT is a little large for most living rooms ( I'm sure not everyone has a dedicated cinema room)

14. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    contrast agreed
    video processing not agreed; it's probably as good as, or better than, any current (with the possible exception of the VW12)
    lack of pixelation within the image not agreed; there isn't any.

But, back to the core question:

A brand new lamp for a 10 is around GBP400. That suggests that, with a virtually new lamp a value of GBP500 puts the rest of the "works" at 100. Undervalued, but it all depends on what someone will pay. I honestly have little expectation that buyers will pay much more.

15. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    £500 wow, how I would so hate to have bought that for £6000 !

16. adam*B

adam*B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all your help guys.

I guess it boils down to "is it really worth selling".....I get tremendous joy watching a 7 foot image, and via progressive scan I am still blown away by the pic quality. It breaks my heart to think that £1500 proj's can better my beast. I don't really believe that tbh.....

A new bulb will cost £400....and after 3 years (200 hrs on the original bulb) there should still be a fair time to go before I need to buy another.

I think I'm going to keep it, and look into getting a long throw lens to put it behind the sofa for that "cinema experience" ! It;s currently on a coffee table on movie nights.

Anyone know who sells long throw lenses ? I have tried the proj behind me and the image is far too big for my screen. Perhaps I need to start a new thread to ask this question....... :laugh:

17. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I've just recently been through the inevitable dilemma:

My VW10 (4.5 yrs old) reached 1850 hours on the original lamp recently. The lamp hadn't failed, but was obviously likely to do so imminently.

So, the dilemma was: Buy a new lamp for GBP400, or buy a new projector for (say) GBP1500?

After a long period of thought, I bought the lamp. For two reasons:

1: I couldn't bring myself to ditch the VW10, and to try and sell it with a virtually life-expired lamp would realise only a few hundred pounds, if that. Or stuff it in the loft, unused. So a new lamp was kind of unavoidable. After all, with a new lamp, after another year or so, I could sell it as working - if I choose to do so.

2: As with all things, technology continues to advance. Contrast levels and other PQ factors for LCD are getting better and will probably continue to do so. And then there's DLP. I'd never buy a single-chip item (very rainbow sensitive) but 3-chip jobs are just beginning to appear (at ludicrously high prices). In another couple of years, 3-chip DLPs may well be present in the market at sensible costs. And a good 3-chip DLP produces an awesome image.

On that basis, I decided that, given I am (and always was) wholly satisified with my VW10 experience, I'd stick with it until something that offers a really radical improvement is waiting to be bought, in the expectation that I most definitley won't be buying another new lamp.

18. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    Can understand that train of thought if your lamp life was guaranteed.

But lamps are funny old things, what would you do if yours was to unfortunately go pop tonight ?

19. adam*B

adam*B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Excellent points Nigel,

I think it's obvious we will always be looking to upgrade...and I think you really have made me realise that now is not the time.

I guess when HDMI/DVI are the norm, and come at a reasonable price (on DVD players and Projectors) then that may be the time to shell out again.

Nigel have you got the lens that came with the proj or have you got a short/long lens fitted ? Where is your proj located ?

20. adam*B

adam*B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ekko Star

Good question :smashin:

That really is a teaser.........

21. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    Keep it. At that price if it was me I would hate to see it go.

Call it sentimental value or whatever. When something that used to be great falls below an economical value due to the evolved market place and not because it is a bad machine, it's not worth getting rid of it I guess.

22. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    If my lamp went pop tonight - I'd put the old one back in temporarily, and order another. The new one is only about 50 hours and my decision to stick with the VW10 is still fresh.

However, the answer to the same question, after (say) another year might well be different.

My lens is the original. The projector is ceiling mounted about 12 feet back from an 8 foot wide screen.

23. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    This is a quote from Projector Central from their review of the 10HT when it first came out:
    "The problem we found on our sample unit with standard NTSC sources is that a combination of scaling noise and motion artifacts tended to compromise overall image quality in terms of clarity and stability. On many other projectors, the use of the DVDO iScan helps to solve this problem, and it did so here as well. The stability of the picture was enhanced significantly when the DVDO was used compared to the image derived from straight composite or S-video, making it much more satisfying to watch.

When component video was fed directly from the Sony DVP-S7700 DVD player, the projector showed an increase in contrast, in color saturation, and in picture detail. However, the scaling noise and motion artifacts were still present.
    "
    They also commented on the lack of deep blacks.
    Bear in mind that this review was written a few years back when this projector first came out , a time when they should have been raving about it's picture quality, not critisizing it !
    Compare that to the £1300 Infocus 4805 which has the same Faroudja Video processing/scaling found on their £5000 7205 model which is able to remove noise, smooth edges and produce a more filmic image than the 10HT could ever achieve.

Times change and advancements in projectors keep on coming and prices keep on falling. The 10HT's biggest claim to fame was it's resolution of 1366x768 but people demand more than that nowadays, they want a picture that's full of contrast, has deep blacks, looks like film and all that from a projector that doesn't cost as much as a small car!
    The latest crop of DLP and LCD projectors produce that in a way that the Sony 10HT can't come close to...
    Anyone else agree or disagree?

24. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I think the HS50 is going to be a big leap forward, especially the variable iris technology. My Tosh MT1 has just clocked up 2000H but is showing no signs of dying yet. But I have decided to go for the HS50 as Ive had the MT1 for four years now. I still find it amazing all the features incorporated in projectors for about £1500 nowadays, when my MT1 only has a 4:3 panel, no scaling worth mentioning and set me back 3K :laugh:

25. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Just read theyre review of the HS50, they mention the I scan HD+ in every other sentence!! I think they have a bit of an ajenda with regards to I scan products :lesson:

26. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    The S7700 isn't PS, I'm sure that would help immensely.

No one doubts things have moved on, but if you've only got one PJ and that's all you watch and you're happy with the image. What is then happening in the market almost becomes an economic comparitive to the owner.

27. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Sorry for my spelling mistake :blush:

28. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Im not advocating that you have to change to the latest thing :) If your happy with what you have thaen fair enough, Anyway Im very lucky in that my girlfriend has volunteered to put a grand towards my new PJ for christmas! That makes it a no brainer for me :D

29. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Can't agree with their assessment of NTSC, via progressive component, from a Pioneer 737.

Agree wholly with the contrast point. Only.

Times do change, rapidly, and there's no doubt that in most respects, the VW10 is less able than newer, cheaper, offerings. However, as one who suffers from, but keeps under control, upgradeitis, I don't yet see a product that's so radically better, that will will sway me to upgrade. Yet. It will come - oh yes! But not just yet.

30. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    Made me chuckle.... with a bit of play on words that could read a girlfriend that's a no brainer.

Now, I always liked those types :devil: