1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How much is my Sony VPH-G70 worth?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by BBD, Dec 17, 2003.

1. BBD

BBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I'm thinking about selling the above and moving to dlp. Its got 10k hours on the clock and the tube conditions are
    Red: Excellent no sign of wear
    Green : Medium wear
    Blue :Heay wear
    Apart from this its in excellent clean condition with only a few light scuff marks. Has anybody got any ideas on what I should get for it?

2. klr10

klr10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi,
    I've been looking at G70 prices (I currently have a D50). I haven't seen many for sale in UK, but in the USA they are around $8000 for a unit with low hours on the tubes. New tubes for G70s are about $1000 each from the states, so if it needs new tubes then I guess you can work it out based on whether you can fit them yourself or not. Obviously the shipping costs and import duties/VAT need to be added to these prices. Hope this helps to give you some idea. The website to look at for all this stuff is www.crtcinema.com, I recently bought two new tubes for my D50 from them ($430 each) and they are extremely helpful. The shipping and duties/VAT for my tubes came in at about £150.

3. BBD

BBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks klr10, I've looked at the crtcinema site before. I wasn't sure how I stood with customs, £150 for VAT and duty is cheaper than I thought it would be. Was that the total for both tubes?
    How difficult was it to change the tubes? The actual changing looks straight forward but what about setting up afterwards. I think it would be a lot easier to sell at a sensible price with new tubes changed and who knows, with new tubes I may decide to keep it if I can get it to fit into my new room!

4. klr10

klr10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi BBD,

My projector is a D50 so the tubes are about half the price of yours, they were $532 each and I just replaced blue and green, red is still OK. So it was about £820 with the VAT, shipping and duty (they arrived in about ten days by FEDEX) also exchange rate was much worse 9 months ago.
    I didn't find replacing them too hard, but I have been an electronics engineer (albeit on computers) since 1976 when I left school so I had a little head start. Your tubes are listed at $799 for rebuilt or $953 for new, with the current exchange rate I would say to replace two of them with brand new will probably cost you about £1700 or rebuilt £1400 as a guess. The manuals for the D50 and the G70 (and others) are available online at http://www.crtinfo.us.vu/automanualSONY.html
    I think they cost about $10, and they tell you how to do it, I suggest you spend $10 and see if you are up to it (Just be careful with the EHT leads on the side of the tubes, they store a hefty voltage even when power is off!!) Good luck, let us know what you decide to do!

5. BBD

BBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi klr10

I looked into refurb tubes (vdc) and although I've actually had a quote from Roland for fitting a pair for around £1400 about six months ago. I was put of by the lack of warranty, I was told they are not guaranteed above video rates because of the high number of failures.

I've already got the manuals thanks. I have a background in Instrumentation so I happy enough installing the tubes. My only concern is how difficult the setting up required after a tube change is. Is it as easy as following the steps in the manual or does it require an expert eye.

6. klr10

klr10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi again,

I haven't seen the G70 manual, but if the procedure is the same as the D50 I found it quite easy. Basically speaking if you fit one at a time, after mechanical and electrical focussing, bring up the crosshairs and rotate the scan coil assembly on the new tube neck (with the digital settings centred - 128 on my box) until the horizontal lines up with the other two tubes and then clamp them. Then adjust the magnet assemblies using the dot pattern so the dots are round not oval (one knob) and the brightest point is in the centre of them (the other knob) then reseal them. There is a voltage adjustment on the D50 for the 195V as well but that's just a preset. Finally, the colour balance, which on my projector is a digital menu setting of bias and gain for each tube. These should really be done using a colour analyser but I managed to do a decent enough job with a bit of guidance from Jeff in the technical dept of crtcinema, using the grey scale pattern. I'm sure Roland or Chris et al will be wincing as they read this and I bet they could make a much better job of it, but it's a billion times better than it was with the old tubes and it looks perfect to me! (I am very fussy) :) :)

7. BBD

BBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks klr10. I think I'll give it a go, although given the cost I'll try one at a time. The blue tube is by far the worst and changing it should make a big improvement.

8. klr10

klr10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Just a tip - if it's anything like my projector, you may want to get hold of a placing tool - one of those things with a bendy shaft and a button on the end that grabs things you can't reach. I think it saved me from screaming a few times:laugh:

9. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    The physically changing of a g70 tube is pretty straightforwards. But unless you know what you are doing you will never get the electronic focus, stigmators and scan coils spot on. More importantly get a pin bent or out of register and you will fry your new tube within a second.

10. BBD

BBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks Roland, you've confirmed my fears about setting it up after a tube change.

I still haven't decided if I should sell or retube the projector. If I had an idea of how much it was worth in its present condition it would be easier to make to decide which way to go.