How much is my amp worth please ?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Fjorko, Sep 3, 2007.

1. Fjorko

Fjorko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Hi all

Hope this question is not intended for the classifieds thread, but here goes :

As topic explains, can any of you fine gentlemen please give some idea of what I can realisticly expect to get for my amp please ( see pic attached )

It was the reference Pioneer amp at the time and I paid over £2000 for it in 2004 ( Yeah I expect a huge depreciation i know !!! :D )

I'm in the process of upgrading some of my AV kit, and my amp ( Pioneer VSA-AX10i-S ) is next in line, so any ideas would be useful. It doesn't have HDMI but it DOES have Ilink and is in mint condition !

Many thanks.

F:hiya:

Attached Files:

2. Skiprat

Skiprat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +147
    I will take it at £2.50 inc!!

Naw worth a try, sorry no idea mate :cool:

Skippy

3. Fjorko

Fjorko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    :D:D

Sold ! Not !

Cheers m8 !

4. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,162
    Well, I sold a Denon (K)A1SE, equivalent of the Denon A1SR, on here for about £600 (I think it was anyway) a few months ago.
    It was over £3000 new, and new HDMI amplifiers have hit the market hard recently.

It's gonna hurt, and I don't want to harm your chances of a decent return, but I think you'll be very lucky indeed to get £500 for it.

I think with older amplifiers of this quality, your better hanging on to it.
    I certainly wish I hadn't sold my Denon. Replacing it with equivalent quality ended up costing me far far more than I wanted to pay. Worst Home Cinema move I ever made.

5. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Thats what i was thinking with my harman kardon avr8500 the new amps have the switching hdmi and all the new format decoders but if you connect the hd dvd players to the 5.1 analogue inputs on the old amp you will still get the new true dolby etc at the end of the day the flagship amps sound hasnt gone that crap over 3 years.

6. Fjorko

Fjorko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I agree Gonzo - it still sounds supurb ! But will the conversion to analogue not degrade the TruHD or DTS-HD quality ? Or does it stay lossless regardless of connection ( HDMI or 7.1 analogue ) ? I know the Pioneer and other older flagship amps have very good DAC's built into them.

7. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,162
    The only real difference will be the bass management. Unless your amp does analogue to digital conversion on the external inputs, bass management will need to be done in the player. DVD players usually have less sophisticated bass mangement options

Otherwise, the audible difference will be very very slight.

Some high-end amplifiers do A/D conversion on the external inputs (not sure if the AX10 is one of them), but if yours does then there's absolutely no point upgrading IMO.

8. charliecossie

charliecossie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    The AX10 will convert analogue to digital, if required.
    I have an AX10ai and listening carefully to the analogue output of a Panasonic BD10 compared to the analogue output re-digitised by the amp shows small differences. However, this may be down to the MCACC doing it's thing.
    I have no intention of getting rid of this amp any time soon. In fact I'm hoping Pio will bring out a Blu-ray player with ilink as I'm no fan of HDMI audio.