How much is an old PWD6 worth?

LDJ

Established Member
Reaction score
As I'm about to succumb to the world of hi def in the form of a LX5090, my trustworthy old Panny 42” PWD6 plasma is no longer required. I was just wondering what this might be worth now… We paid about £3500 for this when they were first released, but given the direction of plasma prices these past few years I wouldn’t have a clue what the value or demand would be for such a display (complete with VGA and SCART input boards) would be. Immaculate condition, remote control, manuals, box etc. etc.

Thanks

As I'm about to succumb to the world of hi def in the form of a LX5090, my trustworthy old Panny 42” PWD6 plasma is no longer required. I was just wondering what this might be worth now… We paid about £3500 for this when they were first released, but given the direction of plasma prices these past few years I wouldn’t have a clue what the value or demand would be for such a display (complete with VGA and SCART input boards) would be. Immaculate condition, remote control, manuals, box etc. etc.

Thanks
I have two of the later models which are now resident in bedrooms :D and to be honest you will probably do the same once you find out some prices.

I worked on the basis I'd be lucky to get a couple of hundred quid for mine so decided to give it to my brother instead. Most people seem to have kept theirs for bedroom duties etc. :)

Absolutely shocking the 2nd hand prices of Plasma panels

My barely 4 year old £4,500 PIO 435HDE fetched £500 a few months ago:(

As I'm about to succumb to the world of hi def in the form of a LX5090, my trustworthy old Panny 42” PWD6 plasma is no longer required. I was just wondering what this might be worth now…

Just sold my PW6, fully kitted with DVI, Component, Composite, VGA connections etc for 250. Relatively low hours, including original box, manuals, etc.

Depending on hours and condition, you'd be looking at the 150-300 range.

Personally, if you have the space, its still worth keeping. The PQ on SD is still hard to beat even by todays standards. Only sold it to upgrade to Pioneer 50 inch goodness :)

Cheers,
Daniel.

aaw, i need to sell my pwd7 too as also upgrading to pioneer 500A. are these forums a good place to advertise or anywhere else to suggest?

I apologise now if this comes across as a hijack, but I'm also going from pwd6 and thanks to tlc am to an lx5090.

I'm planning on keeping mine (as the resale is nowhere near it's worth to me) and sticking it in the bedroom. However I really need a set of the official side speakers, does anyone want to sell theirs of know where to get some?

I apologise now if this comes across as a hijack, but I'm also going from pwd6 and thanks to tlc am to an lx5090.

I'm planning on keeping mine (as the resale is nowhere near it's worth to me) and sticking it in the bedroom. However I really need a set of the official side speakers, does anyone want to sell theirs of know where to get some?
All i have done with my two is rob the speakers from an old stereo system like small pc speakers and got a scart lead which has 2x phono outputs (maplins) then plug into the input on the screen then connect the speakers up to the output's where the original speakers would go. Brill :thumbsup:

This may be useful to the poster.

Yeah i though about that but wanted to try and get the official side ones for the look :D

OP - i looked a little while back and the general concensus was about 300-450 depending on boards ect. No way i would sell mine for that, rather give it to a friend.

Love how all the pwd people are going to the new pioneers. Guess we were all waiting and not wanting to comprimise :)

I've chased a little bit of speaker cable up to the ceiling and tucked a pair of cheap ceiling speakers in above the TV before. Keeps the speakerless look, but still runs from the speaker terminals on the TV itself instead of needing seperate amplification.

Do you think these new screens are a massive upgrade on the ole pwd6 Liam?

Seeing as it was you I bought it off sooooooooooooo many years ago, before the oceans drank Atlantis!!!

I've got a PF11 at home I'm playing with at the moment, and there are still things I prefer on it to the Pioneer...... I think overall I'm a Pioneer fan for the complete experience - a bloody nice looking set that is a joy to use and calibrate and the versions with tuners are still good. The Panasonic isn't quite as fancy and with the fancy processing and that. But the new PF11 is just a shockingly clean image.

Anyway back on point, yes tonnes better than the 6. The 6 got us almost back to the 4, wasn't better til the 8, floundered a little with 9 and 10, but with 11 its a big, big improvement in PQ. especially with a HD feed (the upscaling of SD is clearly better with Pioneer).

The last bit:

the upscaling of SD is clearly better with Pioneer

Is the bit that will matter to me the most!
Thanks Liam, you doing the deals on the pio's?hehehe

OR.....50ph11+ a Edge?

I would keep the set becuase even now it has fantastic SD picture quality, but we have literally no space in the house for a flat-screen TV of this size and unfortunately none of our family/friends are in need of a TV (certainly not those who are capable of operating a display that requires separate speakers)...

If I advertise it on here for example, is it likely to sell?

If I advertise it on here for example, is it likely to sell?

It's more likely to sell here, than anywhere else, as more people here recognise that these are still good screens. Whether or not it sells would mainly depend on the price you want for it.

With people being able to buy brand new 42inch HD ready plasma's for under 400 squids, it kinda affects the resale of older, albeit better quality plasma tvs...

I would have liked to keep mine, but like you, didnt have the room or the use of another tv...

Cheers,
Daniel.

Upscaling of the Pioneer is better but Panasonic is certainly not a bad one. There isn't any horrilbe edge enhancement etc. Panasonic's weak point is the SD deinterlacing, but with Sky HD this is unavoidable since it's being done inside the box anyway with HDMI. Panasonic with EDGE is a very nice solution. You are welcome to drop me an email or give me a phone for Panasonic or Pioneer prices

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom