1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how much is a second hand LINN cd player on the forums?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by shahedz, Aug 15, 2005.

1. shahedz

shahedz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,217
    does anyone know how much a second hand LINN cd player goes for on the forums?

2. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Second hand Linn CD What? I know where there is a nice Ikemi for sale.

3. shahedz

shahedz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,217
    prey tell!! where and how much?

4. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Perhaps may be useful for you to place an ad in the Wanted section of the forum classifieds as well,and to specify which Linn CD you're interested in,as the prices will vary accordingly.

Also please be aware of the forum trading rules.

5. shahedz

shahedz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,217
    see i dont really want to waste anyones time by placing an advert as i still have to sell my CD player-Hardisk before i can buy my LINN Cd player, so i just wanted to know how much they roughly go for to see if i can afford one, i am pretty easy with regards to any model to be honest, just want it to match my amp.

6. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Right....in that case,one of the best things I've found is to have a good look through the used/ex-dem listings,and get an idea of current prices.

Things like Linn Kariks can be had for under £1k depending on age and whether or not the Numerik off-board DAC is included.

More recent models like the Ikemi will be more expensive,and older items like the Linn Mimik should be around a few hundred pounds depending on condition etc.

There are considerable differences in sound quality between the models,and my own feelings would be that the Mimik is cheap,but has quite a soft sound quality,whereas the Karik is still quite a decent player on it's own,and can be used as a transport also.

Have a good look through the likes of ebay and www.ex-dem.co.uk before deciding,as they will at least give an idea of price.

7. shahedz

shahedz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,217
    alexs2 many thanks for your advice and the link, will definitley check it out and keep an eye out for a LINN :thumbsup:

8. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Good luck...it's generally well worth a look through the exdem links etc just for dealer prices.

I used a Linn Mimik for several yrs,and also with a Numerik DAC,and the external DAC was a very large improvement in all areas.
    The Karik is a bit old now,but still pretty good on it's own,although again much better with a Numerik.

Obviously some of the newer models are better(esp the CD12!),but I would say that the newer lower priced models may still be outperformed by an older (and originally costlier) model.
    Do try and listen before you buy if you get the chance.

9. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
  10. shahedz

shahedz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,217
    cheers for your advice guys, checked out the web link you provided knightshade and placed a wanted ad, the cd player looks like its gonna be more than i had anticipated!! ( i got the pre-amp and power amp for free. i helped a mate clear out his garage and they were sitting there boxed and he had only used them for 2 months and then boxed them for the next 2 years when he moved and didnt unpack them so gave them to me) as you would expect the sound was an amazing improvement compared to my sony AV amp so now am dying for a LINN cd, maybe i need to be paitent!

11. Rich-UK

Rich-UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Check eBay for prices, though people seem to pay over the odds on there sometimes.