Question How much is a Marantz Ki Pearl SACD player worth?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by mbart777, Sep 5, 2017.

1. mbart777

mbart777
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I am considering selling my prized limited edition (500) perfect condition unit with certification documentation, all accessories and original packaging to fund a speaker upgrade.

Is it (yet) considered a rare collectable?

Thanks

2. Jampot90

Jampot90

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Two for sale in Europe at the moment -

Used Marantz SAKI Pearl SACD players for Sale | HifiShark.com

Lots of lites in the list so you have to look carefully
    With only 500 out there I guess they won't come up very often so no 'track record' for guidance.

Very desirable piece of kit particularly for someone with an SACD collection. I would love to compare it with a Linn Unidisk or Oppo 105 / 205 for instance:)

Jim

3. Mark.Yudkin

Mark.Yudkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,527
    The Linn and Oppo you mention are universal players with support for multichannel SACD replay. The Marantz is a stereo only device.
    This means that somebody wanting multichannel replay won't want the Marantz, while somebody interested in only stereo SACD would compare the performance of the Marantz with an audiophile stereo SACD/CD player.

4. mbart777

mbart777
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Thank you Jim and Mark

I have had two Oppo players (83 and 83SE) in the past and while they are good universal machines the stereo sound was not a patch on the Marantz. Indeed, I also have a Marantz UD7006 (another universal player) in use elsewhere and think the sound is better than the Oppos I had, though I cannot comment on their later models.

Michael

5. Jampot90

Jampot90

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Agreed, unfortunately stereo only players with SACD playback are all too thin on the ground these days. The Oppo 83SE (IIRC) that Michael mentions and the later 95, 105 and 205 all have dedicated stereo dacs of the respective generations, so a better prospect than (say) a £250 Sony or Pioneer BDP whether or not the video playback is of interest

I don't know how much the Marantz was when new in UK but when Micheal Fremer reviewed it in Stereophile in 2010 it was $3600, about 3 times the price of the 105 when current, so it should sound better. My interest is that interminable subjective conundrum - how much better and is it cost effective with the rest of the system it's used in.

Jim

6. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,132
    Here is a link to a USA Review of the Marantz SA KI Pearl CD/SACD Player -

Marantz Reference SA-KI-Pearl SACD/CD player

It seems the original US Retail price was $3500, which is about UK£2,680 using current exchange rates, though admittedly that's not the best test.

Marantz UK | SA-KI Pearl

This link indicates that the SA-KI Pearl was about £2500 in the UK -

Marantz KI Pearl

I would assume, in excellent shape, that should fetch a pretty penny. To a knowledgeable buyer, and again assuming excellent shape, I would seem that £1000 would not be out of the question. £500 would be an absolute bargain.

Though certainly not hard and fast, the very general rule for used equipment is Half-Price adjusted for age, condition, and market desirability. I would suspect that the Marantz would have high market desirability for Stereo Playback, and give the condition, as you stated it, I would say £800 to £1250 would not be out of the question.

But then ... that's just my opinion.

Steve/bluewizard

7. mbart777

mbart777
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Many thanks, Steve

Michael