How much insternet speed do i need

ALIEN1X

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi i have fibre optic broadband of 200mb but sits getting very expensive.
So I wish to know hiow much spped do i need fr what I want to do?

I currently have the follwing
1 x fhd tv - for hd online streams using VPN
1 x 4k tv and for hd - 4k online streaming using VPN
1 lap top for browsing gthe web and emails
1 pc for home working connected to company network for home working reading and producing office docs and email - using my own broad band

would 50mb speed be enough?

Yes. Go for it. It will be fine. Online streaming compression is very good these days, Netflix recommends 25Mbps for 4k

More than enough. I have more than that on occasion with average speed of 44Mbps

Like having a tv screen, the bigger (more) the better is my advice. That way you can add more devices to your network via gigabyte switches.

Just watch out for bottlenecks.

MY Provider is VM so need to look at who can offer reliable fast fibre broadband and free any time calls inlcluding mobiles.
For the 200mb speed and free calls i get chared around £57/month so need to find better and cheaper options for what I want to do no doubt there will be reduction in speed.

I have the following via uswitch but not sure how good or relaible they are:

Now broadband supoer fst fibre 63mb and free any time calls 30/month

EE super fast fibre broadband 67MB and fee anytime calls £35/month

Just be aware that whoever you go with the speeds quoted are deemed average and dependant on how far from the exchange you are etc, a big difference in comparison to VM.

you should talk to Virgin - I have the 350mb speed package with phone calls free in the evenings and weekends and its £37.50 (would have been around £42 for all phone calls free I think) so they are over charging you based on current prices (I have no TV service with them)

just checked on there website 100mb and talk anytime is £35 a month at the moment.

I will have to check the 100mb with free anytime calls with VM but I think that may be the deal for 1 year then it goes up by a big junk, cant find the link for £35/ month?

Yes it is for the first year but as I understand it at the end of the 12 months contacting them and entering into another contract for 12 months is the way to retain the lower price, similar to other ISP's. I must say I haven't done this with Virgin yet as I am only about 6 months in with them but my friend who are longer time customers do this each year. (I did it with talktalk over and over in the past)

Is there a link for your you saw with VM as i can only see deal with weeknds/eve call only and not any time calls?

not directly you have to pick the 100mb and weekend phone deal and then you click the phone options and change that part to all the time calls to get the package you want and see the price.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom