How much inclusive data allowance do I need for a mobile phone?

LazyBones

Standard Member
I phoned O2 this morning to give notice in readiness for moving to T-Mobile where I was going for a Web'n'walk tariff which allowed 1GB of data a month as O2's rates seemed much pricier than T-Mobile.

But O2 disproved the "brand new customers only" rule by offering me a far better deal than I'm on at the moment - £10pm for 100 minutes, 100 texts, 2MB of data and itemised billing on a 12 month deal with a fair range of free phones. A similar 18 month deal on T-Mobile but with a gig of data would cost £24pm.

Obviously 2MB is a lot less than 1GB, but how much do I need for a few e-mails and, say, 30-60 minutes of web per day if I don't get involved in things like podcasts and downloads?

O2 reckoned that 1MB should be fine so 2MB would be plenty. If I blow the limit each meg is going to cost £2.35 which is obviously a big jump.

3T3L1

O2 reckoned that 1MB should be fine so 2MB would be plenty. If I blow the limit each meg is going to cost £2.35 which is obviously a big jump.

But even if you go over by a couple of meg a month, you would be saving compared to the T-Mobile package, and if you don't then you'll be quids in! I think you can get a "bolt on" for cheaper data access if you don't mind adding that to your bill per month

Not sure how much you would need though, I had a free 20 Mb trial in my first month and didn't exceed that through daily surfing and mail checking before I got my broadband back up. Think 2 Mb a month will be tough to stick to if you intend to use it every day though - even if you turn the pictures off on web pages.

LazyBones

Standard Member
Thanks for that - it was sort of what I expected. As you say, even if I end up paying a bit extra if I blow the limit it could still be a lot cheaper than the other options.

id say 2mb isnt gonna be enough if your planning on using it a bit. Depending on the pages your looking at 1mb could be between 5-25 pages. Is it just wap or proper internet your gonna be using? full internet pages are quite a lot bigger than wap ones.

by the way 120 mins, 100 texts and unlimited data is £22.50 on t-mobile if you do it in their shops at the moment. But it is an 18 month contract so up to you.

3T3L1

Hope this isn't too late, but I've found a way of checking my data allowance from my K800i...

In all of my total internet sessions (total time 1:35:19), I have sent 622984 B and received 2560164 B.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I assume they only charge for received data, and a "B" is a "byte".

Assuming there are approx 1000 B in a Kb and 1000 Kb in 1 Mb, I reckon I've used approx 2560 Kb (ie about 2 Mb) in using the internet for 1 h 35 min over approximately 2 month. No downloading in that time, just looking at e-mail (subjects and senders mainly) and a few web pages (albeit with pictures on until I realised how to turn them off).

Thus, I think my earlier post of "yeah, 2 Mb will be easily enough" may be a bit out - if you're going to use it every day, think you will need a lot more.

That's assuming my calculations are right...HTH

LazyBones

Standard Member
Thanks for the feedback. I had come to the conclusion that I didn't NEED the data side of things and took O2 up on their offer.

However the phone hadn't arrived after a week and it turned out that they hadn't processed the order. I won't bore you with the details of their rubbish customer service and the systems being down at the call centre most of the weekend so I have now written to give notice.

I'm off to T-Mobile on the Flext deal that londonguy mentioned, with the first 3 months of web'n'walk free too.

A work colleague went onto web'n'walk recently and reckons he absolutely hammered it in the first month, and used 90MB.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom