1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How much improvement to be gained from better VGA cable?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by zAndy1, Mar 1, 2003.

1. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,948
    Is it worth changing my bog standard VGA cable I'm using from my RGB -> VGA convertor for a better one (eg Van Damme or Lindy?). I'm a bit disappointed with the quality of Sky via the RGB -> VGA convertor, looks a bit soft to me, wondering if a better cable would sort it out, any experiences people would care to share? I'm a bit dubious about just how much improvement I'll see that's all and don't wanna spend £60 for nothing!

Cheers,
    Andy.

2. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i did notice a improvement in sharpness and colour bleed going from a bog stantard to a vandamme blue £47 for 3m at www.rgbtosvideo.com

the best improvement a made was getting a new power lead colors looked more vibrent, and i am hoping to get one for my ntl box see if that does any thing too?

i bought a yelo from russ andrews

and remember to use a good scart lead to

there was someone selling a vandamme red on the board yesterday

3. dalbaht

dalbaht
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    is that a new power lead for your plasma screen or convertor box?

4. thxultra

thxultra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    is that the power lead for the plasma jmack? where didi you get yours from

5. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes for the plasma i got it from http://www.russandrews.com/home.html

might try and get one with a figure 8 end for the ntl box too
    you get a 30 day trial or your money back so you can test it out
    i bought a 3m one i think it was about £40.00

6. dalbaht

dalbaht
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have used them on my hifi and noticed significant improvement, although i have only used the cheap ones, i draw the line at spending close on £1,000 for a mains cable even if it is made from silver!

7. sainthalo

sainthalo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    its just a rip off anyway - better to get some sort of filter at the consumer unit instead surely!!!

8. mike.hutch

mike.hutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27

Good idea, have you seen anything like that anywhere? I'm just replacing my consumer unit, and providing a seperate ring main for my HC room, I would like some sort of filter on it.

:)

9. ncpl

ncpl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    re: MAINS

Have a look at the RussAndrews site. You can download a pdf called The Power and the Glory which takes you through some principals of cleaning up your ps. It does include a section on dedicated ring mains etc. Also have a read on the PSAudio site. You can spend a lot of money there too :suicide:

I've started to try some of the techniques and whilst not vast improvements, they definitely do something....just try taking them out to see the change

Rgds

Nick

10. Phil_Yeoman

Phil_Yeoman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Better VGA cable can indeed improve picture quality but here is a little tip. Try REMOVING the choacks from the lead. I have found that this little bliters while somtimes reducing interference, often introduce a higher degree of solerisation and graininess to the picture. I can't tell you why, just that it does.

As to mans cable, the best way to improve things here is to invest in a high power ups. This filters the incoming supply and outputs a more stable signal. The added benefit is that it protects the equipment from brown outs. I use a 5000kva unit to filter and smooth the entire HC ring main.

As far as the mains lead is concerned I have never seen any differnce between cables (even on CRT with very high resolution output).

I, like many have in the past fallen for the snake oil vendors of "high quality" cable. I have come to believe that in the vast majority of cases I simply saw an inprovement that was based on the reduced size of my bank balance.

Phil

11. matt janes

matt janes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I went from a Maplin to a Lindy VGA and noticed vast improvement in colour, ghosting and general noise. Also recently upgraded from Cambridge audio scart to QED RGB scart and noticed much less improvement but still a slight improvement.

Definately recommend VGA upgrade if you're using pap like I was! 2m Lindy SVGA under £20 at www.lindy.com/uk