1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How much humming is acceptable?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Phill77, Oct 1, 2003.

1. Phill77

Phill77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've recently bought a Panasonic TX-28DT4 which often hums loudly, seemingly depending on the brightness of the scene displayed at the time. It's loud to the point where it becomes difficult to hear the sound late at night when the volume is down.

An engineer was sent out who agreed it does hum quite loud, then later followed this up with a call to say Panasonic are aware of the problem, do not currently have a fix, but would be in touch.
    It's been a couple of weeks now with no contact.

How much noise is acceptable?
    Does anybody have a quiet one, should I be asking for an exchange TV?

Any advice would be appreciated.
    Cheers, Phill.

2. mister p

mister p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Phill

I have just puchased the same. Haven't spent any real time with it yet but I have noticed a slight backgroung hum, certainly not enough to be heard over the sound.
    If that does happen to me then it will certainly go back. An irritant like that will detract any viewing enjoyment to the point where your'e listening for the hum first and watching second.
    As I said only had it two days, but I did have a problem this morning when I switched on, there was no sound. After half a minute I changed channels and the sound returned. After that I noticed when I switched channels, as the picture adjusted itself there was a lot of humming and background noise associated with it. The noise was evident and changing (rather than one continous tone) for some time.
    I switched off and went to work. Checked it with the wife later and she said there was no noise evident.
    I am still running on an anologue aerial and although the signal quality looks to be around the 9 mark for the DVB channels I think a digital aerial may be needed.

Please let me know how you get on.

Cheers

3. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    The only noise you should hear from your TV is the sound coming from your speakers. If you can hear a hum or buzz during normal viewing, I'd say send it back for replacement

4. mister p

mister p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's going back on Saturday. To be replaced by the Sony KD 28DX50 WITH £50 off for the incovenience. I did have to ask for it but I do like John Lewis for their customer after sales service!

5. Loada

Loada

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    I have a 32PF10 (older 1st gen Tau set) which also hums. This is to do with the 100hz circuitry and is "normal" - a lot of 100hz sets (if not all?) do it to some extent. Some sets have a louder "hum" than others and generally its only noticeable when the volume is down low, late at night for example.

I live with the hum and it really doesn't bother me but I wouldn't say mine is annoyingly loud. If the engineer thought it was unusually loud, I would say there might be a problem. Chances are if you exchanged for an identical model, it would be quieter. A "loud" hum seems to be relatively rare from discussions I've read elsewhere on the matter.