1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How much, how far, how high....how much help do i need :)

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by oreoboy13, May 29, 2002.

1. oreoboy13

oreoboy13

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just told allders to pickup my Tosh 42WH18B, the right hand side bows so i dont feel to guilty but, i am getting my money back and not a replacement if you know what i mean. When the TV first turned up i thought i was fantastic especially as i had only had a 28 4:3 b4. I soon realised the TV wasnt right for me, it was too big and intrusive just for normal TV watching and not big enough for films. I secretly knew i needed a projector, the only problem i have is that i live in rented accomodation and will do for the next 18 months.

Anyway as i said they are picking it up soon and it means i will have £1800 quid to spend, and i want a projector and screen. This is were i ask you all for help;

Can i mount the projector on a shelf? if so i need to know how "throw ratios" work how, far do i have to sit from the screen, can screens be mounted to the wall without doing drastic damage? (i.e what pollyfiller can repair). Is there anything else i need to think about that i wouldnt necessarily think of seeing this is my first jump in the world of projectors?

I didnt want to make this a Panny AE100 post so for the money £1800 including screen, is there anything else i should consider, anything new to about to come out that i should hold off for? or is the Panny my best bet. You can see what i am using the projector with @ the bottom.

If you have read this far thank you and any help would be really appreciated.

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As far as mounting the screen to the wall, that is no problem. I have a 92inch screen mounted on the wall using only two size 7 screws. It needs less fixing and makes fewer holes than a shelf! So that is absolutely no problem.
    As for throw ratios, this is one of the major reasons why people opt for the panasonic---there are of course many other good reasons, but the throw ratio of the panasonic enables you to have a massive picture in a small room whereas the other projectors tend to require a much larger room in order to get the same size picture. For example, I get a 92 inch picture from only a 3 metre throw. The sony cineza would, I believe, require twice the throw distance for the same size picture.
    As for mounting the pj on a shelf, that is exactly what I do. It is inverted and resting on four blobs of blu-tac.
    Other things to consider with a projector over a rear projector are picture quality---the panasonic responds to what it is fed. Give it pictures through a htpc and, I am informed, it can produce miraculous results. However, ordinary connection through composite is not good enough for many people. I am afraid that I am not the person to ask about this as there are many people here much better qualified in this field and I shall be pestering them soon as I intend to try and go down the htpc route myself:p Svideo and componant are each respectively a step up on basic composite.
    Also, be aware that it is not possible to watch a pj like the panasonic in a fully daylit room whereas you can watch a rear projection tv quite comfortably.
    Last, but not least, reliability is very, very important. I am writing this the day after my pj blew up so bear that in mind. Overall I still prefer the Panasonic to my former Toshiba rear projection because when it works, there's nothing like it.

3. oreoboy13

oreoboy13

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you, for the info, sounds positive, i hope you fix your pj soon.

However new questions seem to pop all the time;

where do you put the centre speaker, (any delay probs)?

How variable is the throw ratio, i.e can i move it further back than 3 meters and shrink the image down to fit, or do i have to find the perfect distance, and thats why people ceiling fix?

How much is a screen going to cost?

Whats a grey screen?

when you say 92", (how good wil the Ronin car chase be!!!) is that diagonal horizontal etc. And what happens when aspect ratios change?

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi oreoboy13

Hope I can be of some help.

I put the centre speaker under my screen. It sits about 3 inches under the screen when the screen is dropped. Sounds fine, the sound seems to be coming from the screen, which is exactly the way I wanted it.

Different projectors have various throws, I have read a few times that the ae100 gives a very short throw and therefore in some instances must be mounted nearer the screen than most.

This is good for some rooms, not for others.

My screen which is 7' 4:3 electric was £600. The grey ones are a little more expensive. (i think)

Tend to give better contrast than white screens, but at the expense of brightness.

I think the ae100 looks a great projector for the money, its only the reliability problem which concerns me greatly. Its great to have a 16:9 projector, I was temted to exchange mine for this reason alone but didnt due to various faults.

I have now opted to go down the htpc route, a little user unfriendly but what a difference in the picture quality!

:)

5. oreoboy13

oreoboy13

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the info;

So if the room wasnt the right length i would have to ceiling mount it?

Can you get 16:9 screens?

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes or some place their projector on a table or some other suitable item in front of their seating position.

Yes 16:9 screens are available but definitley do cost more than 4:3 ones unless you d.i.y.

7. Geoffc10

Geoffc10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    owl video systems do a nice 16:9 fixed frame with velvet borders. I have one. cost around £600, much better than a painted wall, after all , would you put cheap tyres on a porsche?. If you want a projector, you need a good screen. Dont let people fool you into thinking a painted wall is like a proper screen. I have tried both and the screen looks better for pic quality.

8. oreoboy13

oreoboy13

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    how big is the screen for £600? have you got a link?

9. Geoffc10

Geoffc10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thats for a 5ft screen (69 inch diag screen).
    www.owl-video.co.uk, but they site is being sorted out.
    tel number 01826 766 123