How much have DVD players improved in the last few years.

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by DrPoko, Jul 22, 2004.

1. DrPoko

DrPoko
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    With even the cheapest of new players being loaded with features and gaining plaudits for picture quality I’m interested to know how they compare to older high end players.

I’m sure there must be others like myself sitting on an older high end player (Sony DVP7700) and wondering if I should pension it off and replace it with a much cheaper new player (eg Pio 575)

Sure build quality on a cheap new player will not be up to the 7700 (not much is) and CD playback is not an issue (covered by Naim).

It is picture quality that I’m most interested in (new projector).

Any thoughts most appreciated.

2. WScarlet

WScarlet
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    well i bought a dvd sony for 550 at the time when dvd players had not long come out in the uk(don't know model number sorry) recently upgraded to a toshiba sd330 for 60quid and the differents in PQ was a fair bit didn't think it would have made that much of a diff tbh but it did.

3. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,268
    I have found a good rule of thumb is to spend about a third of the cost of your display device on a DVD player to do it justice. Therefore a £3500 Sim2 Domino 20 wouod deserve an Arcam DV79 at £1000. An Optoma H30 would deserve a Harman Kardon DVD22 at £300. There is no hard and fast rule to it but I find this systme works very well.

4. fatbob

fatbob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The interlaced picture of a high quality dvd player of several years ago will still be a match for the interlaced picture of a modern top end player. Modern players score over their older counterparts by offering features such as progressive scan, dvd -audio and SACD. Whether or not you will benefit from upgrading to a progressive scan player depends on the quality of the deinterlacing built into the projector.

A year or two back onboard deinterlacing within projectors was rarely up to the standard of the deinterlacing provided by progressive scan dvd players. This meant that upgrading the dvd player from an interlaced to a progressive model often resulted in better pictures.

Today, many projectors contain line doublers of a much better standard, meaning that you can feed them an interlaced signal and the resulting picture will be just as good as feeding it a progressive signal.

If your projector has a high quality line doubler, you won't see much, if any, improvement by upgrading. If it's anything less than high quality, then a progressive scan player will be a worthwhile purchase.

5. torkelom

torkelom
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My experience is that while DVD players get cheaper, the quality drops.

My good Sony 900QS dvd player is a great player in anyways. I borrowed the new 930QS from work, and testet it against the old 900qs. The 900qs has a sharper and more detailed picture then the 930qs. But the 900qs do not play MP3's and so on....

The 900qs is over twice as expensive as the new 930qs.

6. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +309
    I had the seminal Sony 735 which oozzed class in both the picture and sound stakes. However, it died about six months ago so I replaced it with the Sony 730 for just £130.00.

The PQ is better, but the sound is not as good in my opinion.

Cap :)

7. DrPoko

DrPoko
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Interestng point fatbob, the projector is a Faroudja equiped X1 so you are saying that the progressive picture from a player such as a Pio575 may not be much (if any) better than the interlaced Sony 7700 picture deinterlaced by the projector.

Maybe I'll keep saving for that Naim DVD5 !

8. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +228
    I have to say that some of the newer high end players such as th e Pioneeer Elite players (59 avi) and the Marantz DV 8400
    are most certainly much better quality in terms of picture and sound.
    What make a DVD player good is its D/A converter. the first DVD players only supported a 10bit 24mhz Video D/A converter.
    Newer players offer D/A converters as high as 14bit 216mhz!
    Beleive me it makes a huge diference. Not to mention newer outputs such as HDMI and DVI.
    Technology can only get better over time, even if individual compnies cut costs on parts and build quality. Go for big makers and always ask for a preview before u buy!

9. mark.carline

mark.carline

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    Well I have a Sony VPL VW10 projector that was on sale originally for £5500 and I have it paired up with a SAMSUNG DVD-P142 which was £99 and dixons are now selling them for £49.

http://www.dixons.co.uk/martprd/sto...&sku=772853&category_oid=-9113&fm=3&sm=1&tm=2

Not bad for a PAL progressive scan DVD player and I only got it as a temporary thing while I am waiting for a KISS DP600 to be released.

The picture quality / sound / ability to read disks etc is amazing for £50.

I think DVD players have improved massively over the last 2 years and to be honest I dont think we'll see better quality now - just more features (like wireless / harddrive / high definition / network integration etc etc).

10. torkelom

torkelom
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My "old" Sony dvp-ns900qs dvd player has a 10 bit / 54 mhz video D/A converter, while the new ns930qs has a 12 bit / 108 mhz video d/a.
    I don't see any difference at all on this players.... The 900qs has two power supplies (one to audio and one to picture), the 930 has only one. The 900 has separates print boards for audio and video (one in each corner of the player)... Once again, the 930qs do not match this...

After all, the 900qs is a better allround player than the 930qs...

I tried the new pioneer dv575 (only 2000 nkr = ca. 200 pounds) (which is more or less the same player as dv636/646 according to Pioneer), against the sony dvd-player...

I'm not impressed with the picture quality on this player.... The sound quality is the same, since I use the D/A converter in my Sony ES reciever.

11. fatbob

fatbob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DrPoko,

Do you know anyone that owns a progressive scan dvd player who would be prepared to bring the player to your house and let you try it out with your setup? The next best thing would be to find a helpful dealer who stocks the X1 and get a demo where you can compare interlaced and progressive signals going into the projector.

There's a good chance the DCDI processing the interlaced signal from the Sony 7700 will be a match for a progressive signal, but the only real way to know for certain is to compare the two.