How much has OLED improved?

Chippy99

Hello folks. First post on here in a very long time.

I've been the (not so) proud owner of an OLED TV for 6 years - the LG 65EF950V. To be honest, I've never truly loved it. Yes the picture under the right circumstances (high bitrate 4k feed) can be spectacular. But when it's bad, boy it is BAD. Terrible posterization, colour banding (a big yellow stripe down the screen, clearly visible on e.g. a snow scene or a football match where the grass is a different colour). Vignetting. Near black performance is woeful.

I am contemplating buying a new one, so I have a couple of questions:

(a) has the technology improved significantly since 2014? I mean like screen uniformity, so can I be confident that a pure white screen will actually look white all over and not have yellow or blue splodges? And can I be sure it won't have vignetting? And how's the near-black performance?

and

(b) which is the one to get, assuming money no object? And what about if money is an object?

I'd be really grateful for any thoughts and recommendations.

Thanks

sebna

The technology has massively improved but some aspects are still down to panel lottery.

I have C6 and C9 and C9 has really perfect panel which seems to be the norm for c9 65".

If money no object and PQ is top priority then one of the Panasonic top models would be best choice.

If functionality is top priority and you do not mind little hit in PQ department then CX is unbeatable.

If the hit is little or not is debatable of course. In theory when both are pro calibrated they should be the same but even watching videos online you can see that all LG models (even after calibration) have problem of slightly purple blues at times. Panasonic or Sony do not have it.

bonkersrob

Good question - I have an EG920 (2015) model - there are improvements, don't get me wrong - faster processor, new picture modes, increased brightness, new apps etc but the PQ - if you have a good set from years back, the jump in PQ is not really massive. I made the jump from years of Panasonic Plasma TVs, and it was phenomenal move. I wonder how good the Sony OLEDs are, heard a lot of good things about them.

GAmbrose

I 'upgraded' from a B6 to a C9 and though the panel was definitely much better with regard to banding, greyscale etc it wasn't exactly a night and day difference in overall picture quality.

However, it does do some things a lot better than my old one. Game mode and HDR in particular.

sebna

I 'upgraded' from a B6 to a C9 and though the panel was definitely much better with regard to banding, greyscale etc it wasn't exactly a night and day difference in overall picture quality.

However, it does do some things a lot better than my old one. Game mode and HDR in particular.
Do you still have your B6?

C9 has much better near black performance which addresses the weakest part of Oled technology and brings big improvement IMHO. Colour reproduction is better out of the box so for those who do not plan to calibrate their sets it can be a big difference. Panel quality, again depending how bad your previous one was this can be massive difference. My C6 is not extreme. It is about normal for 6th gen which means it has it shares of problems while my C9 has near perfect panel.

HDR, motion, banding, posterization, WebOS improvements. It all adds up to a very nice upgrade. C6 had great image quality in certain situations. C9 due to better panel, colours and near black performance is almost constantly outstanding in PQ and the functional improvements make it much better in daily use department.

I wished all brands were making such a wroth while upgrades / fixes between generations.

The latest video from AVForums

Oculus Quest 2 VR headset + Rotel A14 MkII Amp Reviews & Best of the Month
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom