how much for this canon beast

That things huge

51666048.eos1200g.jpg

apparently there's only 10 in existance, weighs 16kg and has a price tag of approx $90k. Good old google :D

Regards

Steve

when i first started working at Tecno (anyone remember them?) They had a couple of Canon lenses on the system for around 40k. I believe this 1200mm lens is around the same but dont hold me to that. I know there arent many in circulation so you arent likely to find it on froogle :p

That's certainly a beast of a lens! You'd probably need a small truck to carry the lens and the tripod for it :rotfl:

I'm sure there's more than 10 in existence, although the last one i saw on the market did go for nearly $90,000 and i know they *used* to be built to order.

Rumour going round is that that they have stopped making it, but apparantly this is only because the last guy who wanted to buy one had to pull out of the sale due to a nasty divorce.

Oh the internet rumours....

Oh and the picture in the post above mine is actually a canon camcorder, and the converter for EF lenses automatically adds like another 7x to the equivalent 35mm focal length. What's he looking at!!

SeaneyC said:
Oh and the picture in the post above mine is actually a canon camcorder, and the converter for EF lenses automatically adds like another 7x to the equivalent 35mm focal length. What's he looking at!!

Erm... can you possibly provide me with proof of that mate? The EF adaptor for the XL1 comes in at about £260 but doesnt multiply the focal length at all, they do however make a 1.6x converter. Not sure where you got 7x from surely that would be able to take photos of a man on the moon

ush flynn said:
Erm... can you possibly provide me with proof of that mate? The EF adaptor for the XL1 comes in at about £260 but doesnt multiply the focal length at all, they do however make a 1.6x converter. Not sure where you got 7x from surely that would be able to take photos of a man on the moon

Well if i'm not mistaken, the sensor on the xl1 is like 1/3 or 1/4" isn't it?

Compared to 35mm this is about 6x unless i'm completely out?

busterboy said:
Leica do some big lenses too..:thumbsup:

Leica_Wow.jpg

dont think much of the image quality thougH! that pick is clearly not taken with a leica is it!

Holy smokes! Look at the size of the tripod head plate on the Leica lens!

1200mm...PAH!!!
Try 2000mm:eek:

2000mmreflex.jpg

2000mm f/11 Reflex-Nikkor

A prototype model of this remarkable lens was officially shown at Photokina in 1968 as this MirrorNikkor lens has the longest focal length - 2000mm - which ranked among the longest focal length of all telephoto lenses in 35mm SLR photography. The magnification is 40 times that of a normal 50mm lens, with an extrremely narrow angle of view 1° 10'. It is of the catadioptric type, with two mirrors and three lenses, which accounts for its fairly compact size. The lens barrel is 598mm long. The lens was supplied with a AY-1 mount which made the lens seemed more like a telescope when the lens is mounted onto it.

PS
"News just in"...it has managed to find the missing Beagle probe on "ur anus"...

:hiya:

SeaneyC said:
Well if i'm not mistaken, the sensor on the xl1 is like 1/3 or 1/4" isn't it?

Compared to 35mm this is about 6x unless i'm completely out?

Ah tell you what your absolutley right! the xl1 had the bigger sensor of 1/3" and the xl2 had a smaller but denser sensor. The magnification on the XL lenses was around 1.1 to 1.3 but when using EOS lenses the magnification on the XL1 was 7.8x
Using it on this 1200mm lens would effectively make it into a telescope!
9360mm!! apparently they used them for surveilance

yeah but video resolution... bit pants really! Better off hooking up to a telescope

focal length is a bit rubbish though! surely the rear lens cap doesnt need to be so big!!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom