How much for Significant Sub Upgrade?

JEDIBLADE

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I'm considering a sub upgrade and was wondering what the cost of a significant upgrade from my current mk v-1250 would be? My room is 4 x 5m, my speakers are mk 7's front and centre and mk xenon 36's rear. Open to any suggestions inc diy, second hand, no restriction on size. Thanks.

I think the best thing to do is to figure out how much you can spend and then work out whats the best option for that budget. Your current sub is quite an old design now and things have moved on a bit, but high quality sealed subs with good output arent exactly cheap either, with the minimum spend being around £450, and that might not represent much of an upgrade.

The question is really how much would i have to spend to get a decent upgrade. At the moment I just want to know what it would take financially to upgrade then i'll see about how and when to buy.

A KK DXD 808 would probably improve things nicely, but its £1100. Our sealed 15 is £1400 but easily surpasses the 808. A DXD 12012 is circa 2k and would be a significant upgrade as well, as would an X8/10/12 from MK themselves.

A pair of BK XLS400's for around the £900 mark would also likely see your system improve nicely.

or whats your diy skills like.

Oh now you've started it. :D

I'm making two USC 15 clones (actually one is a 12" but only £10 less for this size). I reckon it's going to cost me about £1,300 for the pair. For a single 15" USC clone* you could do this for around £750 (depending on finish of the sub). As Dan says the USC 15 should exceed the 808, no reason why a DIY clone shouldn't either since it's easy enough to use the same parts (though they do have their own unique settings in the amp EQ I believe and their drivers are modified versions of the Q series I believe).

My prices are based on getting the cabinets made by 'Gordy' off eBay, though you probably won't save much if anything making them yourself.

*45cm cube with a Beringer NU3000DSP amp and Fi Q series 15" driver.

Last edited:
if you want one sub then the if you buld the box your self then less than £50 depending on drivers, anything from £200 to 450 and an amp will be about £400 then how you finish the box, vinyl venner or get it sprayed.

as kevin has said above or a 100l box with 2x fi ssd 15" in it and an nu3000 and that will beat a single 15" q but it does need a bigger box.

Man, I remember the days I used to get blasted by the mods for even thinking of mentioning DIY in this section, funny how things change :laugh:

If you are not going to upgrade the speakers (not that they are bad, they are pretty good) at some stage I would not go over the USC15 level in price terms as they will be a little mismatched.

By all means go DIY if you can as you could do a single 15 or just about a pair for the price of the USC15.If you can't do DIY a USC15 would be where I would spend my hard earned cash (I did:D).

For used an MX350 would still be a good buy as long as you can get one for £750 max.

I actually forgot about the MX350, we have a couple of these in stock and Im sure Rob would do some sort of deal on one. Might be worth consideration if your budget is around the 1k mark, which is about what those subs seems to be going for pre-owned.

Man, I remember the days I used to get blasted by the mods for even thinking of mentioning DIY in this section, funny how things change :laugh:

You must have missed it being asked for in the first post ;)

You must have missed it being asked for in the first post ;)

Nope.

Like I say, I still used to get a slapped wrist anyway, to the point I couldnt respond in the normal forum even if the question was asked, I had to direct them to open a new thread in the correct section ;);):smashin:. Its not a criticism, its nice to see some things getting back to the relaxed fun way things once were.

Thanks for the responses, definately some food for thought. I like the idea of buying or making two as this will not as harsh a dent in my wallet (if I buy at different times). I may enquire about a used MX350. Thanks again.

How about a bk monolith, is that a significant upgrade from the v1250?

You will get more output and a bit deeper but less mid bass slam, as to upgrade I would say a sideways move with a small gain or loss depending on if you consider more depth than slam being preferable.

I'm 90% movies so it's the slam I'm after.

I wonder if a XXLS400 being a sealed sub might be better than the Mono although the mono is regarded as the sub for movies and the 400 for music.

Your cheapest option is likely to be an MX250/350 but that will still be £400-700 if you can find one.

Yes I'm going to put a wanted ad for an mx250.

As you're looking for slam, from my experience I'd suggest going for a sealed sub. The MX250/350 will be an upgrade, but I'm not sure it will be a MASSIVE one. It's worth a go anyway!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom