1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Much for PTAE 100?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Ianf, Sep 24, 2005.

1. Ianf

Ianf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having just purchased a Z3 my Panasonic PTAE 100 is now surplus to requirements. But how much is it worth? It's just over two years old and has just under 550 low setting hours, mounted on the ceiling with no dead pixels.

Anyone got an idea?

2. Anim

Anim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I check Ebay to see what they go for. You can also search on Sold items to see what they eventually went for too.

My guess is 150-200 quid but that is just a guess.

Anim

3. powlest

powlest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Mine was in a similar condition to that, bit newer but a few more hours, I put it on ebay with the celing mount and hoya filter with a buy it now at £300. It sold about 30min later :smashin:
    Still a great bargain for someone if you ask me.

4. Anim

Anim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    How long ago did you sell yours Powlest

5. DEANO-B

DEANO-B
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Strangley enough I've noticed Krish are selling the AE100 (yes..strange...) for £499. I'd guess between £200-£300 is the right price to sell at but as stated above you'll get what the going price on Ebay is... :(

6. Zag

Zag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    My mate has recently offered his Pt-ae200 to his parents for £250. They snapped it up. I'd pitch a Pt-ae100 for around £200-£250. But who knows with ebay. Depends on what someone is willing to pay..

7. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    I think ebay will likely secure you a higher price...watch out for the ebay cut taking down your profits though. You 'll likely get more reliable buyers on the classifieds on here to be honest.

8. powlest

powlest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Sold it two weeks ago.

Very pleased with the Z3 now, get some filters and use the Rone/Jerremy power settings and the picture is superb, a great improvement over the PTAE-100 :)

9. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,013
    the Ron Jeremy power settings?!!

:p

How much better over the AE100? I love my AE100 and find it hard to imagine having a noticably better picture. Of course thats nonsense, but I'd like to hear from someone thats done a similar jump to what I'd do.

10. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    I got £250 for mine on ebay last month with 1800 hours :)

11. powlest

powlest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    To be honest I thought much the same until setting up the Z3, the picture really is a lot better and I would recommend the upgrade to anyone. The picture is brighter, much sharper & more detailed and seems to have a lot more vibrant colour. Add to this the better contrast ratio virtually no noise whilst running and a 3 year warranty and its an easy decision, even the miss's said it looked better :eek:. The Z3 does really benefit from a bit of tweaking mind but once done you will be VERY happy ;)

Have a look at the two links below for the ROne/Jeremy Power settings and other great looking picture settings.

AVSforums - http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=468801

AVforums - http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=163330

The setup I'm using at the moment is below although ROne has just posted a new one which I'll try out tonight....

CC20R and CC10Y filters in place,
    1dB attenuator on the Cr lead (only necessary if you're using component)
    Start with Dynamic mode
    Contrast +9
    Brightness +2
    Color +2
    Tint +1
    Color Temp User
    Red +2
    Green +2
    Blue +1
    Sharpness -4
    Gamma -1
    Lamp Theater Black
    Iris -38
    Gain R +6
    Gain G -2
    Gain B 0
    Off R -13
    Off G 0
    Off B -12
    Gam R 0
    Gam G 0
    Gam B 0
    Auto Black Stretch On
    Contrast Enhance L1
    Transient Improvement Off
    Overscan +6

12. Ianf

Ianf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having owned the Z3 for a week or so I have had mixed feeling on the improvement offered over the PTAE 100.

Using a Progressive scan / Component feed signal both projectors are impressive playing DVD. Out of the box the Z3 has a definite gain in resolution ( as you should expect) also the colour is more vivid in particular blacks are more black. But 10 minutes into a film like the ‘Godfather’ I tend to forget the gain. However an up to date production like 'Sin City' (which I have just viewed), is a striking improvement in quality with contrast, sharpness and colour clearly improved.

I have experimented with a HTPC and modified the settings per the Rone thread. Using Windows Media HD material the resolution is an order of magnitude better than I have previously seen. The down side is the shortage of Hi Def material available.

In conclusion the Z3 is a clear step up in quality over the PTAE 100 but the old Pany is still impressive if you feed it a good signal.

13. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    If you hit the ae100 with its native panel resolution ( 856x480 at 60Hz was always good for me) its a lot of picture for the money. its got a lot of very good image qualities, gamma , brightness and colour. It only falls down on resolution and contrast ( black level) but panasonic really managed to get the most out of the hardware.

It was a real revelation at that price point when it first appeared : it wasn't that inferior to projectors 3 times the price ( and we are talking 2.5 k at the time).

Probably the first good low price projector.

I sold mine a few years back for 300quid. That particular unit is still going strong with the original bulb despite having been immersed in water when my mate's house flooded. Luckily it was switched off at the time. He just dried it out for a couple of weeks and fired it up with no problems.

14. sainthalo

sainthalo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having just watched Lost season 2 episode 2 in hidef have to agree with powlest and urge him to switch to Rones latest natural preset settings!!!! Check out some screenshots below OP in "my setup" :)

15. Ianf

Ianf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    Just to update this thread and by way of useful? feedback I sold the PTAE100 via E-bay for the sum of £285.00. Thanks to all who contributed

16. Anim

Anim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Thanks for that, maybe i will put mine up for sale soon too.

Anim