• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

How much for a Sanyo Z3?

nwgarratt

Distinguished Member
have been offered a Sanyo Z3 (to replace a Panny AE100). It is 20 months old and 150 hours on the lamp. I have been asked how much would I pay. I don't want to rip the person off but I am thinking somewhere around £350.

Part of me thinks a DLP would be better such as the BenQ W100. I don't know if I suffer the rainbow effect though. The LCD would be safer in that respect plus it would be future proof in terms of HD when/if I get a HD DVD player.

How do SD DVD's look in which would be upscaled?

retrof

I went from a Z1 to a Z3 last year (got great deal on the Z3). Given that there are promotions/lamp vouchers on the Z4 and Z5, I think £350 is an ok offer, given the age. 150 hours isn't much, but it depends on how it was treated in the 20 months - could be looking at a new lamp depending on that...

I would check on the warranty situation - I believe it's a 36 month warranty, but it's non-transferable, so the original owner would need to help you out if there were problems.

I use mine with a Oppo 971 upscaling player on HDMI (excellent, and a huge improvement from the HK DVD-25 I had been using). I also use it with a Toshiba HD-A1 HD-DVD player, and the quality is also excellent. I am considering moving to a 1080p projector in the next 12 to 24 months, but I am very happy with what the Z3 produces - it was a huge leap from the Z1...

kingo

The Z3 is a very good PJ, persoanlly i think you may be lookin a little bit more perhaps £400 or a little more for a Z3 with this lamp usuage which is nothing at all, I have seen them go for more on fleabay.

I have the Z3 and use it most nights for films and have never been dissapointed with the pq, If you can get it for £350 thats a real good bargain, so lets hope you do but I would be suprised if you did.

let us know how you get on.

Trev

nwgarratt

Distinguished Member
I would check on the warranty situation - I believe it's a 36 month warranty, but it's non-transferable, so the original owner would need to help you out if there were problems.

Oh, I didn't know that. The reason he is selling the PJ is he needs the money and therefore he wouldn't be able to help if a warranty situation occured.

Will I see a a really better picture over my AE100? I am using a Sony NS585 player via component.

I am torn between this and a new BenQ W100 DLP for about £380. I came up with this as I only really do HD from a computer playing quicktime trailers. I won't be getting into a HD format long after the formats have settled down.

However, I don't know how I will be with the rainbow effect which I am still thinking of LCD's.

retrof

IIRC, the AE100 was slightly lower resolution than the Sanyo Z1. I saw a huge definite improvement in all aspects of the picture compare to the Z1 - colour, resolution, black levels, pixel structure visibility, so I would expect you should see the same moving from an AE100 - obviously a good upscaling player would also help or even better, HD-DVD....
Not familiar with the DLPs - I got headaches from some business ones over the years, so I steer clear completely. One thing to check would be that the Benq is actually 720p resolution, not something lower.

Adrenochrome

I currently own a Z3 and previously owned an AE100, there is a world of difference between the two of them mate.

I am looking to upgrade to a Pearl very soon and i would be expecting no less than £500 for my Z3 which has way more hours than 150 on it. So if your mate wants £350 fill your boots mate:thumbsup:

Adrenochrome.

nwgarratt

Distinguished Member
Thanks guys. I will be seeing him tomorrow night and will make him a offer.

I have seen pics of it on the net and like the look of it a lot. I noticed it has two component inputs which would be good to hook up both my XBox 1 and DVD Player at the same time.

fallwood

Oh, I didn't know that. The reason he is selling the PJ is he needs the money and therefore he wouldn't be able to help if a warranty situation occured.

What retrof means is you would have to get your friend to make a warranty claim, not for him to pay for the repair.

I did this with my ae100 which I sold on ebay , I had paid for 2yrs extended warranty which still had 18m left. I told the guy who bought it that I would have to make the warranty claim if it broke as the warranty was in my name. When it did break (what a surprise) I just told panasonic that the pj was at a friends house and they collected it from there, no problems at all (apart from the 3 month wait whilst it was repaired.).

I thought that the non transferable warranty was a thing of the past , Im fairly sure that a manufacturers warranty now applies to the goods and not the person who purchased it.

martin purnell

I bought a brand new Z3 last week for £895. Over here in Northern Ireland, it is very difficult to find any shops that stock PJs let alone demonstrate them. However, having seen the Z3 and the BenQ100 working, I agree with all the other postings in that the Z3 is better. Also, once you have witnessed rainbow effect, you won't want a budget DLP. The BenQ is an amazing machine for the price but is a Ford Ka to the Z3's VW Golf!
Martin

nwgarratt

Distinguished Member
I bought a brand new Z3 last week for £895. Over here in Northern Ireland, it is very difficult to find any shops that stock PJs let alone demonstrate them. However, having seen the Z3 and the BenQ100 working, I agree with all the other postings in that the Z3 is better. Also, once you have witnessed rainbow effect, you won't want a budget DLP. The BenQ is an amazing machine for the price but is a Ford Ka to the Z3's VW Golf!
Martin

Sounds like I would like the BenQ then. :) It has to be still better than the AE100. I have been told that if I bought the BenQ and for whatver reason I don't like it. Another friend will have it off me at the price I paid for it as his first projector.

As I said, HD is no conceren of me for a long time and I have tried HD material through my AE100 downscaled and I was still impressed.

A different friend has now offered £500 for the Z3 and I can't compete with that and it was accepted. I was going to offer £400.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom