How much electricity does it cost to run your projector?

cybercider

Standard Member
Reaction score
What does it cost in electricity to run a projector and surround sound system?

Anybody noticed any significant increase in their utilities bill?

CC

I believe my 4 year old panasonic projector is 140w, but I'd be very surprised if you kept one on all the time so doubt you'd notice it's impact on your bills.

It probably works out less than watching your TV as you should turn off all the room lights. ;)

A projector is around 200W and an amp is around 100W (average), so lets say 300W. 1 kwh (a 1000 watt appliance running for 1 hour) costs around 15p, so you're talking about 5p an hour for a PJ + amp.

A projector is around 200W and an amp is around 100W (average), so lets say 300W. 1 kwh (a 1000 watt appliance running for 1 hour) costs around 15p, so you're talking about 5p an hour for a PJ + amp.

In other words, it costs you more in terms of the cost of the lamp rather than the electricity assuming a 2000 hour lamp at £200 equals 10p/hour.

In winter it saves on the heating bill as it doubles as a fan heater. I think the cooling fans are to stop the lamp from melting the projector.

In other words, it costs you more in terms of the cost of the lamp rather than the electricity assuming a 2000 hour lamp at £200 equals 10p/hour.

And supposing you buy a projector for £1000 and get 5000 hours use out of it before it breaks / becomes obsolete, thats 20p per hour, so we're upto a grand total of 35p per hour :) :smashin:

And supposing you buy a projector for £1000 and get 5000 hours use out of it before it breaks / becomes obsolete, thats 20p per hour, so we're upto a grand total of 35p per hour :) :smashin:

Or in my case, suppose you bought a projector and then upgraded it for the new model after 200 hours....three times. :eek: I don't even want to think about the hourly cost in depreciation. Thankfully I'm happy with the latest one as it's approaching 150 hours now, I hope to keep this one a bit longer than the last. :D

As Kelvin says depreciation is the biggest cost to factor in running a pj.

If you are constantly craving for a better image you can spend thousands upgrading but if you are sensible:D and spend under £1000 and keep the machine till the bulb goes(hopefully 2000-3000hrs) it will have cost you 20p-30p per hr which will probably be over at least a 3-4 yr period.

What other fun can you have for that kind of money.:thumbsup:

Are these prices still valid…

Funny to read my 13 year old posts back, thanks for digging up this Zombie thread. :laugh: I haven't changed my projector in about 5 years, but it doesn't get used much now and likely even less this winter: I measured my AV system playing back at a decent level, with all the amps, subs and video processor on. Someone else has measured a similar projector to mine at 275 watts, so I can add that amount on.

Basically it wasn't far short of 1kwh based on my smart meter reading, which is currently 34p an hour. Not too bad for an evening's entertainment I guess, though at around 700 watts for the sound, we tend to just use the TV speakers if it's just the usual rubbish that no one is really watching much/non critical.

How times have changed...

EDIT: I think lamp prices have gone up quite a bit since this thread started, though some people have lazers now, so less of an issue.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom